1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland 44-01 vol-pot

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hammer2748, Apr 25, 2006.

1. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Have a quick question for anyone who might be able to help. I just had a friend wire in a replacement pot from Lakland in my 44-01 as the original pot was broken (when pulled out to go passive, the shaft came clean out of the sleeve). New pot works well except now I get a hum that I wasn't getting before. Sounds like a bad ground. I'm useless with wiring/electronics. How big of a deal ($$) is this to square away? Thanks.

Cheers,
    Charlie

2. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

3. Call or e-mail Lakland. I've found them to be very helpful.

4. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks Steve. Yeah, I called them yesterday as a matter of fact. Not having it right in front of them, the best they could to was surmise what I already thought (bad ground or solder). I know the obvious is to simply return to the guy the did the work. He's just not that accessible (constantly flat out with school, day job, gigging, and side work). Dan sent me the replacement pot a month ago and I just was able to get to this guy last Friday. So, if I wanted to have someone else look at it, would this be something that's going to run into any kind of serious $$? The bottom line is that this is something I'm looking to get squared by middle of next week when I go back to work without costing an arm and a leg. In the end, I'll do whatever it takes. Then, I'm going to take some time this summer and try and educate myself more on some simple wiring/soldering so I can be a little better prepared to handle some of these things from home. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Is this a problem that can be detected by something like a multi-meter or some kind of tool like that?

Cheers,
    Charlie