Lakland 44-02 or Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikeluch, Mar 17, 2005.

1. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    Looking at either a Lakland 44-02 Deluxe or Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz(new 18V model).
    How would you compare the two in sound and playability?
    Which one would you go for and why?
  2. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Definately The Fender Jazz deluxe!! IMO it feels much better in your hands and is a very manuvarable bass. I also feel that the Jazz deluxe has a wider range of sounds than the 44-02 and a better sound in general I say MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe all the way!! :bassist:
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would definitely go with the jazz. I think that the American Fenders are usually a cut above the Skylines.
  4. nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    This may be true sometimes but not consistently. I have played and owned some awesome and some lousy American Fenders. The Lakland Skyline series is very consistent and the quality control is as good or better than that of Fender. Just remember that every skyline is shipped to Chicago for setup and installation of electronics. This is a small shop with very stringent hands on quality control. I'm not putting down USA Fenders, I'm just saying that they don't seem to be as consistent as they probably once were.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I agree here, but I tend to like the finish on the back of the fender necks better than the Laky's.
  6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Either one is an excellent choice. Personally, I'm partial to Laklands for the same reasons as nismaniac -- I've played some USA Fenders that were only "okay," but for the most part they are very nice. I've only played one Lakland that didn't thrill me. Generally at the price point you're talking about, quality control is pretty good, although there's always some that sneak through with problems unless you get into the really high price range.

I'd play both of them before I made a decision, and go with the one that "speaks" to you. You'll know it when you play it. :D