Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 44-02 or Warmoth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ender_rpm, Jun 16, 2004.

Lakland 44-02 or Warmoth custom?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2004.
  1. Lakland Skyline 44-02

17 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Warmoth custom parts Jazz bass

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  1. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Greetings all!!!
    Am pondering my next bass (no... really?) and have come to the conclusion that I want to try a J/MM p/u combo. I have heard good things about both the Skyline 44-02 and Warmoth parts, so I was wondering if there was a strong opinion either way? The cost works out so that the Warmoth (Jazz body & neck, sunburst over flame finish, pups, hardware, etc) is about $150-200 more than the Lakland. Thanks!!
    Patrick

2. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Unless you're a master builder, a parts bass isn't going to compete with a 44-02. Especially when the 44-02 is cheaper.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    You won't build a warmoth bass, that's equal to a Skyline, for the same price. You'll wind up spending a good deal more.

Accept that, because its fact... That's ok tho, because you'll end up w/ a completely custom bass, made by you,, just for you...

4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Warmoth build good parts

5. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    yeah I think what it boils down to is whether or not you like the electronics on the Lakland or not. On the Warmoth you can put in whatever you want but on the Lakland your stuck with no options on pups.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Get Nino Brown to build you a Valenti. He does some really interesting work, and the parts (necks and bodies and whatnot) are all Warmoth -- and they only cost a little bit more than the bare parts.

7. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Hmm... Website?
    Of course, half of the reason I was thinking Warmoth is just the geek factor of building it meself:)

8. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Yeah Nino is building my passive P-bass for me. I cant wait to get it. It is going to be a bit different aesthetically from normal P-basses which will set it apart from the crowd. Seems Nino really takes a passion in building these guitars for his customers. Im really close to saying that Nino is almost as excited about the outcome of this bass as I am....almost... ;)

http://www.valentibass.cjb.net/

9. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Actually you can have the 44-02 shipped with Seymour Duncans for an upcharge if you find a Lakland dealer willing to place a special order. I got a Duncan equipped 44-02 from Steve "Dude" Barr.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Looking at some pricing on the Sky Lines that sell for about $1000-1100 for the Satndard (non Maple tops) & about $1200-$1250 for the Deluxe (Maple top's).

IME, Warmoth parts built by a well known TBer ;) could cost you about the same.

I've owned a 44-02 & I have to admit is was a very nice bass.

11. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
  12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Resale is something you should think about also.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I paid about $839 for my Deluxe Natural 55-01 from Bass Central... I love it... My project is going to cost more.

[​IMG]

14. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I payed $650 for my 44-02 here on TB, and it's still one of the nicest basses I have ever played.

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I hate you...

16. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

I traded an old Warwick Streamer Standard straight up for a 55-94 at the Dallas Guitar show. :D

17. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Morning!!
    Ok, so the consensus seems to be that I can get a 44-02 for MUCH less than both the Warmoth, and prices I've seen so far on MF. Are these all new bass purchaes? Or used? Thanks for rreccomending the 5's, but I have little hands, and really can't handle most 5 string necks. I will probably string my current bass BEAD if I need more booty. Thanks for the input so far!!

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My 55-01 was new, right from the factory. Bass Central didn't have the finish I wanted in stock, so they had Lakland ship it direct...

19. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    OK, next silly question: The -01's with the Bart soapbars are SIGNIFIGANTLY cheaper than the J/MM -02's. ANy idea why?

20. The soapbars and preamps in the -01 are designed by Bartolini but made in Korea (MK-1), whereas the -02 basses uses the same US-made Bart pickups and preamp as the American Laklands.

That said, the pickups in the 55-01 are pretty good, and even better with the upgraded Bart preamp.

Mike