1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lakland 44-02 replacement pickup recommendations

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nozkcb, Jun 5, 2011.

1. nozkcb

nozkcb Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2009
    I just picked up a beautiful 44-02 that I really like but am interested in getting some more organic passive pickups in it.

Anyone here have some recommendations? I see a lot of Nordstrand's being used. How does it sound? Can you still do the 60's & 70's coil split thing and if so, how Jazz does it get?

Also, what about bassline's?

Thanks for the feedback.

2. nozkcb

nozkcb Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2009
    There's got to be someone that's has Nordstrand pickups in their Lakland 44-94/44-02. I like the Lakland bass so much from a playability prospective, I bought another and now have an older 4-94 with Barts, and a newer 44-02 with Lakland pickups. Both sound good, but I'd still like to have a more natural and slightly more aggressive passive tone in at least one of the basses.

Thanks!

3. nozkcb

nozkcb Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2009
    I swapped out the Barts for Nordstrand NJ4SV and MM4.4 and what a difference. Punch, articulation, and character.

If you like your Lakland but long for more umph and character, get Nordstrands in there.

4. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    How well do they balance? Do you get a Stingray tone out of it now?

5. GMSweet

GMSweet

Oct 12, 2007
    New Hampshire
    @nozkcb - I appreciate you following up on your own thread from a year ago! Are you using any switching options on the 4.4? Any preamp use or are you running them strictly passive?

Matt

6. nozkcb

nozkcb Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2009
    When I don't have it in passive mode, I'm still using the original Bart preamp that came in the 494 from 1999

Regarding the Stingray sound, it is in the neighborhood more so now but still has its own character. I don't think that the pickups are in the same location relative to the bridge.???

Regarding the pickup switching options for the MM pickup, I wired it the same as the original Bart. As with the original pickups, I tend to use the neck side coil of the MM in a 50/50 mix with the neck single coil ala-60's Jazz spacing.