1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 44-02D... why oh why did we ever break up to begin with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Nov 3, 2013.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    So, those of you who know me are already well aware of this, but I am an idiot. I go through massive amounts of gear, especially basses. I have owned more than 40 basses and probably nearly as many heads / preamps etc. Many of these basses I was not even qualified to play in terms of skill and acumen, and could only justify owning them on account of my pre-2008 personal income. A very select few of these instruments rank among the ones I never, EVER should have let go of.

I have used and endorsed Lakland basses since 2005. I Love the Skylines and consider them to be amongst the finest basses available south of $2k. I owned a beautiful 44-02 that I let go when hardship struck in 2009. Yesterday, I took delivery of my long awaited replacement, my new 44-02D.

IMG_20131103_121534_471.

After getting over just how awesome and versatile this bass is, I had a moment of reflection.... a moment where I realized I must be reaching some level of maturity on account of the rapid slowdown I've experienced in the last year in gear-changes. Looking around at my room, I calculated in my head that now, on account of owning this Lakland, I have at least two 4-Bangers that are now totally redundant..... There is no sound or feel I get from these basses that I cannot get in the significantly easier to play Lakland.

The necks on these basses are just made for me. Say what you want, most people praise them, but for me personally, they're just IT. There's something about the LH3 system that just exceeds everything else for me. There's that slightly compressed leading-edge attack, regardless of other settings, that makes these basses just sound so *live* and punchy... it's an effect which I've heard attained in other basses through a certain combination of woods and very hard or hi-mass break points (nuts and bridges) but the Laklands do it best. There is just no sound I need that can't be gotten out of this bass and usually better than whatever other bass I own(ed) for that purpose.

No real purpose to this thread.... just straight up Lakland love..... headed to band practice!

berman3313 likes this.
  2. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I love Lakland, I have owned several basses but I always come back to Lakland, they just feel right to me. Yesterday I got my first USA made, an amazing 4-94 with Norstrand pickups. This bad boy not only deliver all kind of useful tones but its neck feels like home. I am very happy with it, best trade I have ever made :)

3. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    I totally hear you mate.
    I have been playing bass for 48 years now.
    I have owned Tiesco, Silvertone, Kay, Guild, Gibson, Fender, Vox, Ibanez, Godin, Modulus and Alembic basses.
    I have been playing a Lakland Skyline 44-02 for a couple of years now and it is the only bass that really I have any interest in playing. It truly is IT for me. It goes everywhere I go.
    I have tried the Lakland USA's but for me there just isn't enough difference to go there. Especially because at 100+ gigs a year I really don't want to be running around with a $3k bass in the truck.
    Lot's of Lakland love here.

4. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Congrats on the "reunion of sorts"

Nice burst on that one for sure!

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You are making me miss my old 55-94. One of the great basses for sure.

6. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Let me take another sip of this delicious Lakland Kool-Aid......ahhhhhh....refreshing.....

IMG_0746_zpse7340b8e.

7. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Great trio there!

8. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    First time jamming with this bass last night and everyone commented on how much more present the bass sounded than what I had been using previously...

These basses just make me so happy. For TRUE J-Bass tone its always gonna be my DJ5, but for pretty much everything else.... its this bass.

9. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Lakies seem to get that comment a lot....welcome back to the "comfort zone"