1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 44/55-x

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Jun 19, 2014.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Hi All,

I'm trying to get the lay of the land about the Lakland 55-15 and the various related models. I've always been a Fender guy, so I'm new to both the MM sound as well as active basses in general. Couple questions:

1) What's the difference between the 55-94 and the 55-14?

2) I'm not a big slapper, but this thing looks like a slap machine. What kind of tones is it good/bad for?

3) I see almost no actual US 55-15s for sale, but a ton of Skyline 55-02s. Do they still make the US models?

Thanks!

2. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Forgot to ask. It says the 44-94 is the original. Is there a specific model that is now the flagship or 'Best of breed' of the bunch?

3. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
  4. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I own a 55-94 and a 55-01. So I'm a fan. The difference between the 5594 and the 5514 is the 94 is available with several colors and customization options. The 14 is offered in just 3 or 4 colors and no fancy tops. I believe all else is identical between the two, including the neck, which in my opinion is the finest profile in the bass playing world! They definitely can be a slap machine, but I've found my 5594 to be a very versatile instrument! I play in a funk/rock/blues type band and use it for everything! The 5514 are out there, however, I believe you might have to go to the Lakland website to order. Not sure about this. The 55-02 is the offshore equivalent of the 5594. It is a fine quality instrument for the money! Like Mark said, go to the Lakland Owners Group page here on TB. There are a whole host of experiences on that page. All your questions will be answered.

5. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    you did a good job pointing out the differences....

The main difference is body wood choice and a quarter sawn neck on the -94 and -14 and a flat sawn neck on the - 02.....

6. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    they are all well built instruments.....I consider them all "best of breed".....when compared to many other manufacturers.

You have to go to a dealer to get the 5514 at this point....ANY Lakland dealer can get them....

There are none for sale used because they just came out about a year ago...

Dealers typically stock skylines because they sell faster and are within the reach of more bass players...