1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland..4401 or 4402...or BOTH??!?!?!? Let's discuss.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mmbongo, Aug 9, 2012.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have these thoughts going through my head and I want to get them down :)

Let me back up first.

I have a 5501. After a few months of tweaking, trying strings, changing pickups and preamps, I've hit on a magical combination that is working perfect for me. For various reasons, this bass will now become my main gigging bass. I've had Bart MK5 pickups and an Audere preamp in it for a while, but what really nailed it for me was adding a mini 3 way switch that changes the pickups from inner coils/series coils/outer coils. Inner coils is what is doing it for me. Perfect combination of deep, bright, and mids.

Now here's where my head starts to hurt from thinking too much. I want this same sound in a 4 string, AS CHEAPLY AS POSSIBLE. A 4401 is the obvious choice, fully aware that I will need to replace the pickups and preamp...I will also be adding a pickguard probably. That will be important later.

I already have a preamp I can use, so let's jump to pickups. Obviously, Bart MK5/MK4 are the obvious choice. However, remember I'm cheap, they are $200 new (I got the ones in my 5501 for $100..would love to find that deal again).

I was thinking maybe I could just get a set of regular old Jazz pickups and mount them in empty shells, but I think I've decided against that. I think I want to stick with humbuckers that are switchable.

Here's where the 44-02 and the and the aforementioned pickguard comes in. Since I'm going to get a pickguard anyway, and 44-02 pickguards are readily available, why not get a 44-02 pickguard and just route out for the MM/J pickups? Oh, did I mention that I already have a set of MM/J pickups?

So basically I guess the question is...assuming the pickups are similar, let's just say all are Bart Classic series, can the MM/J setup get the same sounds as the dual soapbar? I just love that inner coil sound I get from my 5501 and I'm just not sure the best way to get that from a 4401.

I kinda like the idea of having a 4401 and routing it for either pickup set, and it would just be a pickguard swap to get either one.

2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    If you got a used 4402 with Barts, wouldn't you be really close to what you want with a lot less work?

3. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'm not sure, that's kinda why I was asking. I'd like to know if the MM/J setup can cop the same sound as dual soapbars.

But I must emphasize how much price is a factor here, and I don't mind swapping pickups.

Used 4402 = $1000
    Used 4401 = $500
    Buying pickups for the 01 is a moot point, as I could sell the MM/J setup I already have and get the soapbars.

Thing is, with a pickguard, it looks like a 4401 could be a 4401 OR a 4402.

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Can you get the routing done at a reasonable cost? The necks are basically the same (if not the same) on the '01 and '02. Awhile ago I thought about doing this, but by the time, the routing was done, I was close to the same in price.

I would just sell the MM/J pickups and get a set of Nordstrand or Barts depending on preference. You would probably break even.

5. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The routing would not cost anything but my time, so basically nothing :)

No, it wouldn't be perfect...but then again it can't be perfect since the stock route would be longer than a MM route, hence the pickguard. But I would want a pickguard either way.

6. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    See now, the pickguard will have to be made anyway...so why not get it with DUAL MM routes? How many Laklands you seen with dual MM humbuckers?

See how my mind works? See what I have to put up with every day!?!?! :)

7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Oh, you can get a used 44-02 for $800-$850.

8. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well, my TB bro madbassplaya helped me out. He convinced me that I'm thinking too hard.

After all, the whole point here is to get a bass identical to my 5501 in a 4 string package. These basses are some of the few where you can actually do that...use the same exact pickups.

There is a black 4401 here locally for $500 that I'm going to get. Soon as I find a deal on some Bart MK5's I'll be set. Already got the preamp. Pickguard? Have to deal with what's available if I get one at all.

9. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Like this?

DSCN3094.

DSCN3093.

not to steal your thunda!

go for the double MM or the 44-01 teh way you want it with the soap bars...either way...you will get a cool sound!

PS - this one has 2 switches so i can do ANY combo of coils...

10. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    :D

Glad to help bro. Get the black and rock it.

I just realized those basses don't have the Lakland bridge.

So THAT'S what a Lakland looks like without the oval!

11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The double MM looks awesome! Kinda miss the oval bridge, though. But it's still awesome :)

Bought the 4401 today. Even with the stock electronics I'm getting close to the sound I was looking for.

12. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    Congrats on your NBD! I got a feeling that you might wanna just hold off on modding it for a while... I played the 55-01 tonight and it still is one of my most versatile basses. I'm using the DR Neon Orange strings and they've got a nice little slap to them...

13. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've had the bass for 14 hours, I've held off long enough :)

Got an Audere pre ready to go in. Taking a chance on a set of Kent Armstrong pickups I found in the emporium yesterday at a good price :hyper:

14. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    The big difference in price between used xx-01s and xx-02s has always been a mystery to me. Interesting thread, and definitely stirring my interest in xx-01s even more.

/rick

15. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    Wow, that didn't take long...

I expect a full review of the Kent's - preferably also a comparison of them against the Mk-1's.

16. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It's a mystery to me, too. I always thought the 4401 was even lower on the manufacturing totem pole than the other Skylines...like they were built by some place that even Korea had to contract out.

I was quite shocked when I realized they were identical, other than the pickups. And the way I see it, they are better than the 44-02's. That Jazz route is very limiting. The 4401 can have a jazz, dual coil humbucker, side by side humbucker, large format single coil, Precision...you name it.

17. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah I can't wait to check them out. Figuring out the wiring is going to be the fun part :)