Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 5 String-Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big String, Aug 11, 2000.

1. I have a Lakland 5594 with Bartolini and maple neck. I love this bass and have used Laklands for the past four years. I also have a four string.
    My question: When I play a G note on the E string, and especially the B string, I get a spring-like tone that is not very pleasing. I have noticed this from pretty much day one, but it really is starting to get worse and bother me. If I move up a whole step or down, it goes away. Just the G note! I have made an appointment with Mr. Lakin (president) to bring the bass in for a check up, since I live near Chicago, that's easy. I am just wondering if anyone else has experianced this on their 5 string. I realize this could be a result of many things, wood, pickup adjustment, strings, set up, or just me, etc. Thanks in advance for your comments.

[Edited by Big String on 08-13-2000 at 05:03 PM]

2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I haven't noticed it with my dlx55, I do have DR Hi-beams on it which I feel improved the overall sound. Two things I have noticed, my Fulltone Bassdrive 2 doesn't really work with it unless the overdrive is almost nil, and the overall tone suffers in smaller rooms. In a large setting it sounds like the voice of G*d! Ask Mr Lakin if he ever plans a P-J option ;)

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Does it sound like an E harmonic when you pluck the G on the B string? I'm checking it on my bass right now. I can get my 55-94 to do that if I pluck it just so but only on the B string. The Keith Roscoe I traded for this Lakland rang much louder all over the E and B strings, I'd pluck a single note and get chords! I'm using the Lakland light gauge Nickel roundwound strings.

Hasn't been a problem for me (until now), thanks for pointing it out (just kidding:D)