1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland 5 String-Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big String, Aug 11, 2000.

1. I have a Lakland 5594 with Bartolini and maple neck. I love this bass and have used Laklands for the past four years. I also have a four string.
    My question: When I play a G note on the E string, and especially the B string, I get a spring-like tone that is not very pleasing. I have noticed this from pretty much day one, but it really is starting to get worse and bother me. If I move up a whole step or down, it goes away. Just the G note! I have made an appointment with Mr. Lakin (president) to bring the bass in for a check up, since I live near Chicago, that's easy. I am just wondering if anyone else has experianced this on their 5 string. I realize this could be a result of many things, wood, pickup adjustment, strings, set up, or just me, etc. Thanks in advance for your comments.

[Edited by Big String on 08-13-2000 at 05:03 PM]

2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I haven't noticed it with my dlx55, I do have DR Hi-beams on it which I feel improved the overall sound. Two things I have noticed, my Fulltone Bassdrive 2 doesn't really work with it unless the overdrive is almost nil, and the overall tone suffers in smaller rooms. In a large setting it sounds like the voice of G*d! Ask Mr Lakin if he ever plans a P-J option ;)

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Does it sound like an E harmonic when you pluck the G on the B string? I'm checking it on my bass right now. I can get my 55-94 to do that if I pluck it just so but only on the B string. The Keith Roscoe I traded for this Lakland rang much louder all over the E and B strings, I'd pluck a single note and get chords! I'm using the Lakland light gauge Nickel roundwound strings.

Hasn't been a problem for me (until now), thanks for pointing it out (just kidding:D)