Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lakland 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've seen & played a few Laklands & I think the feel & play great. My main concers are:

1-I don't like Bartolini's

2-I don't like the MM style p/u.

I've seen one on eBay (a five string) that had 2 Seymour Duncan J p/u's & passive tone controls. Does anyone know how "custom" Lakland is? Would they make a similar bass w/my choice of pick-up's & preamp? I was on there site a while ago & they don't have pics of all the models & was wondering if there were any Lakland buffs that can help.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd bet they'd make it. The only catch would be ... you'd have to pay for it ;)

3. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    :( That's what I'm afraid of!!! :(

4. They now make one that's more or less called the Willie Weeks model which is setup like the one you described. It has the SD J pickups in the neck and bridge position, with a volume, volume, tone configuration passively wired.

email Dan Lakin at dlakin@lakincorp.com (tell him Herm sent you)and ask him. It shouldn't cost any more for them to do this instead of their regular setup.

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    You can have a Lakland with JJ pick up, I have seen them on the regular model, not the Joe Osborn.

Yvon

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    from lakland web site:

The model numbers refer to pickup configuration as follows:

94 = Split "MM" in the bridge position; Single "J" in the neck position
    63: = Single "J" in the neck position; Single "J" in the bridge position
    76: = One "MM" pickup in the bridge position.

7. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    I started a thread on this very subject about 5 days ago and NO ONE responded.I own the one you saw on ebay.Its a Willie Weeks prototype!Serial#WWX.I was hoping someone who owned one could tell me what to expect.Now I need help on finding a quiet quality pre-amp,thats not a kizilion dollars.Ive always had active basses,or at least passive with a humbucker of some type.Never got that Jazz bass zombie disease!

8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I haven't seen that thread, you have a picture?
    I would like to see it!

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Look into a Aguilar OBP-1 pre-amp. They are great. I have one in a bass w/EMG 40 J's. It growls for days on end!!! And it is EVRY quiet. Maybe cause the EMG's. (their always super quiet) You can use it w/active or passive pickups. I got alittle confused installing it, but it was well worth the $80 I paid for it!!! I was thing of putting it in a Lakland w/EMG J's. (If I had any money to buy one!!! LOL)

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Or you could just sell or trade that bass and buy another Lakland that you like (unless you're keeping the prototype for collector's value, which would be understandable). I've always lamented the fact that I couldn't find a passive 5-string I liked, and that WWX sounds just like what I'm looking for. I love my Lakland, so I'm pretty sure that a 5-string with passive J-bass electronics would be "it". I'd probably buy one if they hit production.

11. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    This bass grows on me everyday.Its playability is excellent,and it is a featherweight!I know now that I can handle a 35"scale,and even find it easier.Im just sorry I waited so long to make the move.The string spacing frees me up to be so much more natural with my right hand,its great.
    although I am willing to experiment with pre-amps etc.And actually like the tone of this bass "dry",I would part with it ,if I could get enough to replace it,with a different model Lakland.
    Like all of us fickle gear junkies,that is my feeling today,tommorrow I may enshrine it!

12. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    What is it about Bartolini pickups that you don't like?

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I don't have an exact answer, it's just whenever I played a bass w/them (Tobias, Lakland, Pedulla, Warwick, etc) I would compare them to one of my own (usually eqquipped w/ EMG's) & I've never been able to get a sound I liked. I think I liked the Pedulla w/2 J Bartolini's best.

I've noticed alot of my bassist friends either like Bartolini's or EMG's, never both. Just an obsevation. :)

14. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    I agree with the Barts or Emg point.I am in the Bart camp.To me every bass Ive played with EMGs sounds like a Steinberger.Although I havent tried any really recent basses with them.

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Having played both, and being in the Bart camp, I would say...

both pick ups have clean lows and highs. The Barts, however, have a warmth in the middle and high-mid frequencies. The EMGs are lacking in this, and have what I would describe as a super-clean sterile tone.

Depending on your personal taste, you may prefer one over the other. In my opinion, one pick up is not better than the other, just different sounding. You'll buy the one that suits your personal preferences.

16. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    MrGump...there you are! I just started another thread in regards to the passive Willie Weeks prototype. Evidently there are more than one out there. I just bought one from a seller in Idaho, who'd also had it on Ebay a few weeks ago. It's on the way to me now. I initially thought you were the guy I was buying from, but he says he's never been on Talkbass. Here's the bass I bought (I hope).... Is this a photo of your bass? If so, I have a little voice in my head that's saying some bad, bad things....

[​IMG]

17. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    That's the one I saw for sale on eBay. looks awesome!!!

I've e-mailed him twice with no response. I guess my money is no good with him!!!

18. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    i love my lakland.it covers EVERYTHANG man i love
    her.it's a very even sounding bass when recording.
    we'll always be together i love her.

19. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Sorry for the delay in my replying!McChildee you must have been worried about getting ripped off!
    My bass is serial# MMX.What is yours?Is it as light as mine?And is it VERY loud when unamplified?Mine also vibrates like its been played for ever.If you dont want to post your serial# You can email me at MrGump06@aol.com What kind of amp do you find matches up well?

20. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Mine's due to be delivered today! I'll post some details when I get it....