Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-01/55-02 bridge pickup sonic difference

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BuffaloBass, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Hey folks. This may be impossible to describe, but can anyone give me a hint as to how the bridge pickups on the two bases sound? I'm finding I'm preferring the neck pickup only on the 55-01. Just curious if the MM Bart has a raspier tone than the standard J-style.

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    My thoughts are this...
    The bridge pickup of the 5501 sounds more like a stingray...
    The 5502 sounds more like a Jazz bass when coil is closer to bridge switch....I cannot get my 5502 to sound like a stingray, but the 5501 can get a closer approximation.
    I do prefer the sounds I get from my 5502...more versatile and richer sounding...plus a great Jazz bass funky growl..
    In fact, I have put Fralins in my 5501 with a Bart Ntmb preamp....a more versatile JO5 :bassist:

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The MM Bart does not have a raspier tone than the MK-1 bridge pickup in the 55-01. It is darker and more refined sounding.

4. Thanks fellas. I cant find any of these locally to try. I'm liking everything about my new 55-01 ( thnx fretless5fan !) except the rear pickup sound.

FOllowup question. I see that there are humbuckers available in the same shape as the stock Barts. Has anyone replaced the stock Barts with the humbucker Barts? Can you replace only ONE ?

I'm pretty much running the 55-01 on the neck pickup only. I'm not liking the sound from the bridge pickup at all.

For teh record, My old Peavey T40 sounds like a Stingray, but better. That is the sound I prefer. Seems like the 55-01 gets it with 85% neck/15% bridge ( or really 100% neck, but I have a mental block against using only one pickup out of two!)