1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland 55-01/55-02 bridge pickup sonic difference

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BuffaloBass, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Hey folks. This may be impossible to describe, but can anyone give me a hint as to how the bridge pickups on the two bases sound? I'm finding I'm preferring the neck pickup only on the 55-01. Just curious if the MM Bart has a raspier tone than the standard J-style.

2. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    My thoughts are this...
    The bridge pickup of the 5501 sounds more like a stingray...
    The 5502 sounds more like a Jazz bass when coil is closer to bridge switch....I cannot get my 5502 to sound like a stingray, but the 5501 can get a closer approximation.
    I do prefer the sounds I get from my 5502...more versatile and richer sounding...plus a great Jazz bass funky growl..
    In fact, I have put Fralins in my 5501 with a Bart Ntmb preamp....a more versatile JO5 :bassist:

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The MM Bart does not have a raspier tone than the MK-1 bridge pickup in the 55-01. It is darker and more refined sounding.

4. Thanks fellas. I cant find any of these locally to try. I'm liking everything about my new 55-01 ( thnx fretless5fan !) except the rear pickup sound.

FOllowup question. I see that there are humbuckers available in the same shape as the stock Barts. Has anyone replaced the stock Barts with the humbucker Barts? Can you replace only ONE ?

I'm pretty much running the 55-01 on the neck pickup only. I'm not liking the sound from the bridge pickup at all.

For teh record, My old Peavey T40 sounds like a Stingray, but better. That is the sound I prefer. Seems like the 55-01 gets it with 85% neck/15% bridge ( or really 100% neck, but I have a mental block against using only one pickup out of two!)