Lakland 55-01 55-02 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Could somebody describe what these two basses sound like and on comparison and is their a huge diffrence? I no the diffrence in the pickups but everything else is the same and the 55-02 are higher priced.
  2. Mofopotomus

May 2, 2005
    55-02 also has different electronics (same as the American model, thus the price difference). Wether or not they're better or not is up to you. I haven't played both though so I'm sorry I can't help with that.
  3. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Pickups and preamp are both different. And yes, they sound very different from one another. I've owned an -01 and -94. The 55-02 has the typical dark, focused bart sound but with a good amount of versatility with all the switching options and preamp. The 55-01 is much brighter with a more traditional tone when set flat. I sold the 55-01 because I felt my G&L L2000 did a better job with that tone, albeit in a 4-string package. But the adjustable mids on both let them do things a G&L can't.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As bino said, the 55-02 has the dark Bartolini tone in spades, if that is what you like.

The 55-01 is brighter, and lot more aggressive sounding than the 55-02.

So, whatever floats your boat, tonewise. They are basically the same bass except for the electronics.

I am in a minority in not liking the polite tones of most Barts. My Zon fretless is one of the few basses with USA Barts that I like the tone of.

So my choice was the less expensive 55-01. It excels at rock and heavy music, but with the preamp you can dial some smoothness in too. I have used it for rock, oldies, praise & worship, and traditional hymns.