Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-01 55-02 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Could somebody describe what these two basses sound like and on comparison and is their a huge diffrence? I no the diffrence in the pickups but everything else is the same and the 55-02 are higher priced.

2. Mofopotomus

Mofopotomus

May 2, 2005
    55-02 also has different electronics (same as the American model, thus the price difference). Wether or not they're better or not is up to you. I haven't played both though so I'm sorry I can't help with that.

3. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Pickups and preamp are both different. And yes, they sound very different from one another. I've owned an -01 and -94. The 55-02 has the typical dark, focused bart sound but with a good amount of versatility with all the switching options and preamp. The 55-01 is much brighter with a more traditional tone when set flat. I sold the 55-01 because I felt my G&L L2000 did a better job with that tone, albeit in a 4-string package. But the adjustable mids on both let them do things a G&L can't.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As bino said, the 55-02 has the dark Bartolini tone in spades, if that is what you like.

The 55-01 is brighter, and lot more aggressive sounding than the 55-02.

So, whatever floats your boat, tonewise. They are basically the same bass except for the electronics.

I am in a minority in not liking the polite tones of most Barts. My Zon fretless is one of the few basses with USA Barts that I like the tone of.

So my choice was the less expensive 55-01. It excels at rock and heavy music, but with the preamp you can dial some smoothness in too. I have used it for rock, oldies, praise & worship, and traditional hymns.