Lakland 55-01 and 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Circus, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Well, I have decided on getting Lakland, or a Dingwall, although the Laklands are much less expensive than I thought they would be. Of the 55-01 and 55-02, what would you suggest? the 01 has two Bartolini passive soapbar pups, and the 02 has Bartolini MM/J pup config. Can anyone describe a difference in sound? thnx!
  2. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    If I were buying a Lakland I would go with the 55-02. I had one for a few weeks and I sent it back to the company for a full refund. The neck joint could easily fit a credit card in the gap. I wouldn't think that it would take much of a quality control department to check the neck joint before shipping. On the other hand, human error is a major factor in any manufacturing facility. There isn't a bass or amp company in the world that has a completely flawless record. I will have to admit, Dan of Lakland offered to send me a new bass at no charge. They have awesome customer service.
  3. So you are still suggesting it after sending it back and obviously being disatisfied?
  4. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, I originally has MAJOR GAS for a 55-02. But, called Lakland one day to ask a few questions. Dan Lakin himself answered, & basically talked me into a 55-01.
  5. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I would and have purchased the 55-02 over the 55-01. If you buy used there are some great deals to be had on these basses. Do you have anywhere in your area to try one before you buy. Suggest you visit the Lakland site or just do a search on this forum i'm sure you will find plenty of info.

Good Luck :cool:
  6. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I know that Lakland does make some killer instruments. I do question the quality on their import models. I've seen $200.00 Ibanez basses with better neck joints. A couple other things I noticed were the fretboard and the hardware. The fretboard (maple) had burn marks on it and the hardware felt cheap (mainly the tuners). Also the volume knob wouldn't stay on. Would I recomend this bass? I'm not so sure. If you could of only seen that neck joint. You could put $2.00 in change in that gap. On the other hand, lots of people just love the 55-02. It has a great sound and a great look. Did I just get a lemon??????:meh:
  7. Well, if you had the chioce, would you take a 55-02 over a dingwall afterburner 5 string? 500 bucks more. Is the skyline Laklands import model?
  8. I've only had my 55-02 for about a month. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, perfectly set up too. Plays like a dream.

Its getting more playing time than my Spector CRFM-5 at the moment :rolleyes:

I tried a 55-01 locally before I ordered ... I like the 55-02 pickup scheme much better. The variety of tones you can get out of the different configs are just amazing. And for me, having a Spector, I already have a dual soapbar type setup.

Also, the 55-02 Barts are the same as the US Lakland Barts (as are all the electronics) where as the 55-01 are some non-standard size - so if you need to replace / repair them it may be a different hassle. Has a different preamp too, but you can get that upgraded if you want. I just thought the 55-02's sounded better for me.

Mine has a maple neck which I love too. Everythign you've read about the Lakland B string is true too.

9. Deep

May 8, 2002
    rugrat....You most certainly had gotten a "lemon".
    I've never seen a Skyline with a bad neckjoint. It must have gotten by somehow. And Dan understands that. Thats's why he was gonna give you another new one. Lakland just stands behind their stuff. They literally bend over backwards to make sure you're happy with their basses.
  10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yup, You got a Lemon.

Mine is PERFECT. I seriously like Lakland Basses over ANY bass, the neck is thin, Flat and fast as hell, the deep cutaway really helps, it is VERY comfortable. And the 55-01 has an Active/Passive switch, allowing you to go between either passive or active.

BUT, I would opt for the 55-02, I have played both they are both great, but IMO you can easily get all the sounds from the 01 with the 02, and MANY more sounds that the 01 cant aquire.

Lakland Skyline 55-02 all the way.

Too bad, I had to get a 55-01 for money reasons :rolleyes:
  11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    But wait... If you say they are "much cheaper than you thought they were" then that means you had more money to spend, no?

Then I might also look into a used 55-02 Deluxe and 55-94.

They are also better.

And for the record, Lakland not only has THE best customer service, but all the basses are hand made, and some Human error is possible, but if you do get a lemon, Dan Lakin WILL trade you for another brand new one for no cost at all, he will answer any question, he answers his own phone, and will help you with any problem you have.

If you want go to and email him with questions, he will write you back in a day or so with any answer you may have.
  12. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Actually, the switch on the 55-01 is an EQ bypass, not really an active/passive switch. It won't get you out of a jam if your battery goes dead, as I know from experience. :(

Still, I've been extremely pleased with my 55-01, and it's been my main gigging bass for a few months. It's nice to have something that is so well made and plays so well, even when compared to my high-end stuff, and yet is not so expensive that you worry about taking it to play in a little smokey dive.

13. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    to answer the 01 vs 02 question, I would purchase the 02. I bought an 01 for price reasons and was VERY disappointed in its primarily "jazz bass with a sweet preamp" tone. I returned the 01 and moved more gear to get the 02 and I could not be happier. The Jazz/MM configuration with Bart preamp is so versatile that the 55-02 is a one-bass-for-any-(electric)gig bass. I found the upgrade to be well worth the extra money. Also, both models were excellent fit and finish (tight joints and great setup out of the box... that NEVER happens).

Good luck!:bassist:
  14. Wow, overwhelming support for the 55-02. I would love to get a 55-94, but they are just too expensive. I was going to get a basic 44-01 because I thought it was 950 american, but thats canadian. So I will get a 55-02 deuluxe if I get a Lakland. I think the 55-94 was over 3 grand or something.
  15. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Is the 55-02 active or passive?
  16. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yes, the 55-01 is pretty much a Jazz bass that Fender could NEVER produce, It is VERY jazzy, but I play Jazz/Funk/Blues and Progressive Metal only so it works great for me, but IMO I could not get rid of the 55-01 for a 55-02, I would just buy both, because The 55-01 Pretty much sound's better (to me) than an MIA Jazz bass Deluxe. And the 55-02 sound's FAR SUPERIOR to a stingray (I hate stingray's).

MY only complaint is that they have 22 fretts, Not 24...

But it's worth it.
  17. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Both. The volume knob has a built in bypass that when you pull it out, the bass is passive, and you don't need a battery to use the bass this way. None of the EQ knobs work in this position but you can pan the pups and the soapbar switch still works to give you different tones.
  18. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Funkize I think it's a little ironic that you hate Stinrays and Fenders and love your Lakland considering that Dan Lakin was a HUGE stingray fan that set out to meld the Stingray and Fender world together. I'll admit that Lakland 55s and 44s are a different animal than the Stingrays and Fenders that they are are modeled after. Yet they are modeled after Fenders and Stingrays all the same.

I love all three manufacturers and feel each one brings something unique to the table. It just seems odd to me that you hate Fender and Stingray, yet love the Lakland Fender/Stingray hybrid.;)
  19. Two wrongs DO make a right!
  20. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    The thing that I hate about them is the Cut away. As you know laklands have HUGE cutaways.

Jazz basses Feel cheap to me for some reason, The neck is Pure CRAP its all fat and chunky, I like Thin, fast necks. Music Man arent that bad if you like the cheap ****ty necks too, the body is also uncomfortable.

Brand's I simply hate;

Fender, Conklin, Music Man, New York Bass Work's, The Bass Company, Warwick, Alembic.

The main problem for me is lack of 24 fretts/Neck

For lakland, I can look over the frett thing, but the neck/Body are VERY comfortable, I play at LEAST two hours a day if I have the time.