Lakland 55-01 electronic issues...help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Feb 11, 2018.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I have a early 2000's 55-01 and am experiencing the following issues -

- neck pick up is not responding at all
    - cannot boost treble at all and bass boost is a bit weak. Mid boost is fine.

I've replaced the battery.

Is there any additional troubleshooting I can do myself before taking it in for inspection/repairs?

2. bassguyky48

bassguyky48 Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Central KY./Danville
    I'm thinking Pre amp is shot! Wiring failed-pots bad, etc. those pres are not much good replace with your favorite flavor.
    All my 5501's have nordstrand except one--it's got a Demeter.

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Hmmm....but if its the pre amp, why am I still not getting any response from the neck pup when I bypass the preamp (pull volume knob up) Do you still have the stock MK-1 pups? Also if that's a Lakland in your profile pic (which I'm assuming it is) I literally have the exact same bass.

4. bassguyky48

Oct 6, 2009
    Central KY./Danville
    Well we know There is something wrong with your wiring/maybe blend pot??. Somebody prob tried to fix something-mis-wired, may need pots sprayed --perhaps this was the original preamp and it has been taken out, switched, then replaced
    The thing is....Bart Mk1 pickups are not bad quality but the preamps even without wiring-pot issues are pretty bad. Replacing the Pre with a nordy, Aguilar, john east uni, Bart USA, etc will enhance your sound/tone greatly
    If you have a knowledgeable tech/repair guy maybe they can fix it for just a small fee. Then decide from there.

God bless. Hope you get it solved!
    Laklands are the real deal! Especially those early ones. My red one was a prototype.
    Love red!

MAXSPINRUN and spectorbass83 like this.
  5. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Thanks man!

Love my Lakland !

IMG_20180211_101526.jpg

MAXSPINRUN and bassguyky48 like this.
  6. JTE

JTE Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I played your bass! I took my 4-94 to the shop for some care, and while there Dan asked me to play the prototype Skylines!

bassguyky48 likes this.
  7. bassguyky48

Oct 6, 2009
    Central KY./Danville
    Mine was/is a see thru red 5501---about 8 lbs. the action/playability is ridiculous!!! Now has nordy big singles. Nordy 3 band pre with vtc
    It is an amazing bass!!

8. bassguyky48

Oct 6, 2009
    Central KY./Danville
  9. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    These preamps look like this when not in the bass:
    Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 1.46.12 AM.png
    I'd recommend taking off the cover and making sure that everything looks to be solidly connected to the board. Just press the white parts to make sure they are all seated well.
    Also, check for any loose wires while you're at it.

If you can't find the issue and end up going to a tech, should they quote you some high price to fix it, I'd say you'd be very wise to spend that money on a different preamp. I've swapped this out a number of times and was really stunned by the improvements.

MAXSPINRUN likes this.
  10. BruceOnBass59

BruceOnBass59

Mar 19, 2020
    None
    Definitely wired wrong somewhere along the lines of former owner. You can get complete preamp at Dana B Goods online, tell Dana that Mr. Bruce from Cincinnati preferred you! Comes schematics if you how to install and they have great warranties. You can also ship to Dana and you get a reduced rate! Worth checking out. Go to his website and call for more details.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Zombie thread!

But that preamp is terrible. If you're going to replace it, replace it with something good. A real Bart pre would be my first choice.

MAXSPINRUN likes this.
  12. BruceOnBass59

BruceOnBass59

Mar 19, 2020
    None
    No Doubt!!