1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland 55-01 electronics mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nomadhang, Jan 22, 2012.

1. What has everyone done to their lakland 55-01's and why? I'm looking to maybe do some modding to the bass away from the stock preamp and wondering what you guys have done?

2. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    What year is yours and is it stock? How is it equipped?

I have a stock 2003 55-01D.

4. it's a 2009 stock bartolini mk-1 soapbars with the mk1 preamp. I was thinking of replacing the soapbars with fat stacks. what is a good pre amp to couple with the fat stacks in this bass? I really want a nice thick sound.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Aguilar OBP-3 Preamp.

Pickups:
    Fat Stacks
    Big Splits
    Bartolini MK5

All are great replacmements. Stacks and Barts will be thicker and darker, Splits will be brighter with more output....think Geddy Lee on steroids.

I bought Splits and Barts to try out and I like the Barts better for me. The Splits sound HUGE and really have some bite. They are perfect if you want a huge Jazz Bass tone, but I liked the darker, lower output of the Barts for the type of music I play. I have the Splits for sale in the Emporium.

You can't go wrong with any of them, it just depends on the sound you want.

6. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I'm playing mine without mods..... stock seems to work for me and all I get are complements on my sound..... go figure :cool:

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I was actually impressed with the stock setup. It sure didn't sound as useless as folks made it out to be. I think the preamp needs upgrading more than the pickups...but doing both brought it to a whole new level. It's not required for most folks though.

8. Nice guys thanks for the input, my next question is how hard is it to install a new pre amp? I know of a guy in town here that works on amps, electronics, etc. and i'm sure he could do it but is this an easy enough diy? I'm pretty good with a screwdriver but not so much soldering iron so....I am also in northern colorado if anyone knows any good repair guys around here please feel free to plug them.

9. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I love mine stock. However, I do have a Valenti fretless with Fatstacks and an OBP-3. The vol pot push/pulls for passive, treble pot and bass pot push/pull for coil taps, and mid pot push/pulls for mid band switching. Nino's work is legendary. Here are some pics:

D_Felder_009.
    stealth_valenti_016.
    stealth_valenti_014.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

So far I have installed a US Bartolini 5.2AP preamp. Pickups are still stock at this time but I'm leaning toward some US Bartolini Classic Series MK5's. The Classic series aren't dark like the regular models. I believe the P2's will also fit in the Lakland. I'm also considering Nordie Fat Stacks.

11. Hey, I was checking out the different aguilar obp 3 preamps here Aguilar Amplification: Bass Pedals, Bass Pickups, Bass Preamps, Bass Amplifiers, and Bass Speaker Cabinets

It seems the different models of the preamp have different set ups for the controls. I assume for the Lakland 5501 would need one of the models that doesn't have a toggle switch since the bass doesn't already have a toggle in the body. Would am aftermarket preamp for this bass need to be capable of wiring directly to my existing knobs/pots? and if so is the aguilar obp 3 capable?

12. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The OBP can do just about anything. There is no difference in the preamps that you see in the various configuration, just the pots that ship with them. They don't even come pre-wired, just in the box with the preamp.

I used the OBP-3 SK/PP which has a push/pull switch for the mid frequency selector instead of the seperate switch.

It does not wire to the existing pots, the OBP will come with the pots you need for it, then you add whatever volume controls you want. I went with a master volume and blend, but you can also use 2 volumes. Whichever you prefer.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Some of the preamps already come with the pots. My Bartolini pre (5.2AP) did. It also does not have a toggle switch. I believe the Aggies do come with pots. I believe Best Bass Gear prewires the pots with the Aggies. http://www.bestbassgear.com/aguilar-obp3-preamp.htm

14. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They do pre-wire Aggies, but it costs about $50 extra.

15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Check post #9. Assuming Fatstack pickups and an OBP-3, you will need to replace 3 of the stock 55-01 pots with push/pull pots if you want 2 coil taps, and a mid-band select switch (without toggles). One 55-01 pot, (active/passive) already is push/pull, right? :eyebrow:

16. This is one I had a few years back. It was a great bass that I think is still owned by someone on TB.

17. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I had the MK5's and an audere pre in my 5501. A massive improvement over the stock pups and head shoulders over the Nordy Big Singles.

I loved that bass but the 35" scale was more than my wrists could handle. I Began to experience carpal symptoms so it had to go. These basses are killer and if a 34 or even 34.5 existed at the skyline price point, I'd be a Lakland owner. Lakland and Nordy necks are the measuring sticks in my book!

18. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You are correct, you should be able to use the volume and blend pots from the 5501. I bought upgrades though, plus I wanted to keep the 5501 pre all in one piece so I could sell it or use it somewhere else.

19. What: MK5s and LH3

Why: (1) Because I could and (2) to be like SuperT

Seriously, I'm not one who "needs" to upgrade for any reason much beyond upgrade GAS (I guess that would be GUS). IMVHO, the character of the bass itself comes through where things are relatively equal, i.e., with the MK5/LH3 set flat, active and dual coil, the difference from the MK1/MK1 isn't night and day. I felt it was most significant in the middle, with the MK1 being "thinner." I found the difference to be a slight grind in the MK1's tone, where there is a fatter, smoother, punchier middle to the MK5. Again, this isn't a night and day difference...more like Butter and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter...

EQing on the bass does allow for far more stark contrasts. One that jumps out is that boosting bass on the MK5/LH3 is fat, thick and round in ways the MK1 wasn't. I thought the MK1 was great, just not as smooth. And commendably, I felt that nearly the full range of EQ on the MK1 offered useable tones.

I got mine wired series with I have a two-position switch between dual coil and single coil (outer coils). If you like having a lot of tonal options, multi-coil PUPs and some switches can give you a lot of options. That can be a big move away from stock.

I sometimes think I'd like to get mine rewired in parallel. Series on the MK5s is awfully hot. I think it might add some pleasant air too.

20. Thanks for all the input guys, I am going to start looking for a tech guy in my area to install the upgrades for me. Anyone know of a good shop or person in Northern Colorado ie Boulder/Fort Collins?