Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-01 finish question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wrigley, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Wrigley

Wrigley

May 26, 2002
    I was just wondering if somebody could give their opinions on the Natural finish vs Black finish on the Lakland Skyline 55-01. I've got a Natural on order from the guys at Bass Central (many thanks to Grashopper and Gard). Normally I'd prefer the Natural, but nobody in my area, nobody carries these, so I can't look at them in person. A lot of the internet pics I've seen make the Natural look very "yellow". Just wondering if any of you who have seen it can offer some input. I was just toying around with the idea of switching to basic Black finish, if the Natural isn't very good. Thanks for all the help.

Wrigley

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I really haven't been impressed with the translucent finishes on the Skyline series bases-natural & 3-color sunburst. Part of keeping the cost down is to use ash that might not have figure that is as attractive as a premium grade...not to mention that the same effort that is put forth to match grain patters within the pieces used to make the body is not prevalant in the Skyline series. If I were to get a Lakland Skyline series (which I WILL and I HIGHLY recommend), I would definately go for a solid color. The colors are great and are identical to the classic colors used by Fender in the '60's. Can't beat that Candy Apple Red!!! A Candy Apple Red paint job from Pat Wilkins ALONE will cost you "almost" as much as a Skyline Signature series!

3. Wrigley

Wrigley

May 26, 2002
    JPJ - Thanks for the info. I just want to make a good choice on this one. What you're saying about the wood grain makes sense. Anybody else notice this or something similar on the Skylines? If I scrapped the Natural idea I'd go with solid Black or maybe Candy Apple. Is the Candy Apple very "sparkley", or is it closer to a metallic red color? I don't think I'd like it if it's very "glittery" (like with big shiney reflective flecks in the finish).
    Is the Black a traditional solid black gloss finish or is it glittery? Any info would really help. If I'm gonna change I'd pretty much have to do it now.
    Thanks for all the info.

Wrigley

4. Wrigley

Wrigley

May 26, 2002
    Anybody else have any thoughts? Anybody get a chance to see these babies in person?

Thanks,

Wrigley

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have one in the Inca silver, and I spent a lot of time trying to decide on the color... I got mine before the cherry sunburst was available in a skyline, so for me it was down to the Silver, Natural, and Sunburst.... I saw many different pictures on the net, and they all seemed to be a little different, the Silver seemed to be the most consistent... now that I have it, I wouldn't go to a natural or a sunburst skyline.... I think that the solid colors came out a lot better than the natural or sunburst... I do like the cherry sunburst with the deluxe top, so that may be something you look into....

P@

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The Candy Apple Red, Lake Placid Blue, and Inca Silver are virtually the same as what you would see on a USA Lakland. To get a better idea, you might try going to www.sadowsky.com and combing through the archives to find basses with these colors...won't take you long to find them. As far as the sparkles, they are true to the Fender originals and are NOT like the sparkle finishes that G&L uses. The effect isn't so much a sparkle, but a true "metalic" effect. The classic colors are what they are because they were originally automobile colors used on the '60's. They were available to Leo used what he could at the time. Therefore, to get an idea of the degree of sparkle or size of metal flakes in the paint, look closely at a car that has a metalic paint finish. From a distance, all you see is a pearescent solid color. Only up close can you see the finest metalic particles. Finally, the black is a std gloss black...not metalic black.

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Candy Apple Red Skyline. The metal flakes are bigger than on a Fender metallic finish, but not huge. They are visible up close, but from a distance not as much. There was another thread about this, and most of the people didn't think the flakes are as big as I think they are, so I guess it is a matter of opinion. I like it.

[​IMG]

8. Wrigley

Wrigley

May 26, 2002
    Guys...thanks for the info.
    Nice pic Showdown.
    I think I'm sold on the Candy Apple Red. Just out of curiosity, do you think it would look better with a white or black pickguard? I'm leaning towards white, but I wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks,

Wrigley

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    If you have to have a pickguard, I think white would look better. Of course I kind of like it without one, too...:D

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I sell laklands and have had quite a few come thru here- i have noticed that the 3 tone sunbursts have very subdued grain and the natural onbes ive seen have had more of the type of grain we are accustomed to. I was under the impression that Musicians fFriend had bought all the natural 55-01's- i dont order mnnay black ones because EVERY scratch and flaw you might put on the bass will be visible- the cherry bursts are quite nice

11. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Regretfully I do not have the means to post a picture,but I recently got a Skyline 55-02 with the Cherryburst finish and Maple neck.I guess I lucked out,because the grain of the Ash body is very pronounced and quite visible through the finish,and it looks great.I have seen others including another Cherryburst where the wood was very plain Jane,however,so my suggestion would be to try and look at several if you want any of the finishes that show the wood.