1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 55-01 is driving me crazy!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spectorbass83, May 18, 2012.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I've had this bass for about 3 years now. I picked it up used and it truly is a great playing bass in fantastic condition. It's from 2001 and has the MK-1 pick ups in it.

I love the bass but I keep having problems with the pick ups/electronics! There are two recurring issues -

1) The neck pick up likes to stop working every couple of months it seems.
    2) The pick ups are noisy and hiss a lot. When I touch my strap bolt or the volume pot the hiss subsides. It's gotta be a grounding issue.

I have taken the bass to a tech several times and the problems keep coming back....the MK-1 pick ups are ok but considering the problems I am having I am at a crossroads....

Do I splurge on a new set up Pups and new pre amp? Or do I take it to a different repair facility to get them to try fixing this issue once and for all??

I already did the math and figure it would cost me around $400 for parts/labor. I just don't know if it's worth spending that kind of money on an upper-mid level bass that is 10 years old.

Feedback please!

2. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    If you like the way it plays then why not spend the money to upgrade the electronics? Seems like a no-brainer to me. Throw some nordstrand dual coils in there, put in your preamp of choice, pay someone to install everything and put in some coil-tap switches. Then you've got yourself an amazing sounding bass that also plays great and for not much investment.

What's the alternative? Drop a lot more coin on a new higher-end bass that may or may not play as nice, and will sound the same as if you upgrade your current bass.

To me it's much easier to get a bass to sound nice than it is to find a bass that plays exactly the way you want.

Just my .02.

3. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    i'll second that, 5501's are nice rock it with some Nordys would be sweet!

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Audere preamp and Bart MK5's. Should be required for any 5501 before use.

5. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Email carl@chicagobassdoctor.com to see what he recommends.....he is a lakie expert.

He can tell you if it needs fixing or replacing

Also if there is an integrity issue with the pickups or pre see if leo@lakland.com can do anything for you.....you never know!

Peace and good luck

Doug

6. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    +1000

7. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I've considered upgrading the electronics in my 5501 as well. Can you describe the sound your recommended set up will provide?

8. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Update!
    Took it to my tech last week. He opened it up and cleaned all of the pots, put in a new battery and VOILA! Plays amazing :)

9. It's a grouding issue. I had an Ibanez SR506 (which I no longer own because Ibanezes are just too small and flimsy for me) that had the same Bartolini Mark 1 pickups in them, and probably the same preamp too. I had very similar problems with it cutting out (a bit of hiss hut not too bad), and I got a bass tech to just isolate the eectronics; the problem went away immediately and never came back.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sorry, I just now saw this!

Basically, you'll gain clarity. The bottom is deep instead of round. The top is smooth and snappy instead of spitty. The mids are clear and defined instead of muddy and bloated. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. You'll lose all that hiss and extra noise and the B string will come to life!