Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-01 - Is the 02 worth the extra cash?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Do you think the extra features on a Lakland 44-02/55-02 are worth the extra hundreds of pounds? e.g. switchable mids, "proper" barts.

Anyone here have good/bad experiences with the 44-01/55-01? I am keen on getting a 55-01 - getting a good trade in deal - so I'd be interested to hear the responses.

Used search feature - not too helpful.

Cheers

Mike

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    It depends on what your idea of the perfect bass is. IMHO, I found the 55-01 to be more like a jazz bass, and the 55-02 reminded me BIG TIME of a stingray, but with wide spacing like my yamaha. Which bass to you tend to like more?

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Yeah, it would be a jazz bass.

One other point: I found on some of the -01s that the volume knob wasnt powerful up to the last few degrees, then there was a leap in volume, ergo, difficult to adjust.

Anyone else find this? Nothing about it on harmony central....good reviews there though...:)

Regards

Mike

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    No, jk.

My 44-02, which has a coil splitter, sounds a lot more like a good j-bass than a 44-01. It reminds me of several basses: Modulus Flea, MusicMan Sterling, Fender Jazz Bass, Fender Marcus Miller Signature Jazz Bass, Vintage J-Bass, MusicMan Stingray, and o crap, I forgot to take out the garbage.

5. This has been the subject of its own thread. You should do a poll if you really want to find out.

A lot of posters will tell you to play them yourself, but that's not always possible, depending on where you live. Even living in L.A., I could only find one 55-02 in a shop (Mesa Boogie Hollywood), but no 55-01.

(And no, Guitar Center Hollywood does NOT carry them!)
    :mad:

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was lucky enough to go into the Bass Centre in London when they had just had a big shipment of Skylines - so I looked through them all and tried a few. But I must say I was immediately drawn to the 55-02 Deluxe and although I tried a few others - as soon as I saw it, I thought it would be the one I wanted.

As you say - it is only a few hundred pounds across the range - so my view was to get exactly which one I liked best as it wasn't worth looking to save by getting another one, if I liked the top of the range.

So - as I say the 55-02 Deluxe just looked best to me - but I did also find that I liked the sound and playability better than the others I tried - including Joe Osborn Skyline. But the differences were small although noticable to me - probably not to most listeners.

My view was that if you liked Jazz basses than the Osborn model was ideal. The 55-02 is a much more versatile instrument with coil tap switch and 3-band EQ + passive/active mode. I use a lot of differnet tones on it. But it may be down to personal preference. I love Bartolinis on basses - but some people don't - I just feel they really bring a bass alive and make it shine - but it may be too much for some people?

I woudl suggest a bass-trying visit to London - both the Bass Centre and Gallery are advertising a wide raneg of these and I would always recommend trying before you buy. I did ... and I was convinced that the 55-02 Deluxe was the best sounding and playing of the range...but you might find differently?

7. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Many thanks for your responses.

Bruce: Yes, I was in London yesterday, at the bass centre and gallery. The bass (55-01) that I have my eye on is in the gallery, where, interestingly, they only had -01's. No -02's at all. I played the 55-02s/44-02s in the Bass Centre but felt that the improvements, whilst tangible, weren't enough to make me fork out a few more hundred. I am a student, on a budget, so sadly I cant throw caution to the wind and just get it, if you get me. I was really wondering whether the general concensus was "Noo! Get the -02!!" or "Well....both great basses, for different styles"..... so I could be more comfortable in my choice. I was curious whether the mk1 barts were looked down upon, etc.

Well, I'll dander down in a few says more to re-play them all.

Thanks again. Any more responses/thoughts from -02, or especially -01 owners appreciated.

Regards

Mike

8. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I purchased a 55-01 from Bass Emporium in August. I tried several other Laklands while there but this one spoke to me. I have played several shows and it sounds and plays great. Sure, it isn't the high end model but for me it is perfect. Lots of adjustability with the tone controls. I never mess with the amp.

If it sounds and plays good to you, go for it. You won't be dissapointed.

9. i played some 01s and 02s when i was at lakland in chicago last summer. for me there was no comparison -- the 02 sounded a lot better. i was never happy with the sound on the 01.

but that's me. you've had the chance to play both and the difference in price did not justify the difference in sound. and that's all you need. buy the bass you want.

robb.

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Yup!

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Most people seem to prefer the 55-02. I can't say which is better because I've never played the 55-02.

I do have a fretless 55-01. I like the pickups. The bass has a great sound with rounds. It's a well constructed instrument as well. My only complaint would be the short bottom body horn could be longer for better balance sitting down.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive played both basses a few times and IMO the 55-02 is the better sounding of the two basses, it sounded a bit deeper and had a more well rounded, even tone.

So yes IMO its worth the few extra hundred $$

13. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I originally bought the 55-01 in order to save money, when I knew I really wanted the 55-02. I found that the 55-01 was a great sounding bass that was definately in the "Jazz Bass Family." I sold the 55-01 and stepped up to the -02 and was completely satisfied in the wide variety of tonal options. I would adamantly argue that the 55-02 is well worth the extra money. While the -01 is a great bass, if you need to draw up a variety of sounds out of one bass, the 55-02 is the bass. You can get a P-Bass, Jazz bass, Stingray and Lakland tone (jazz + Stingray) all out of the 55-02. The 55-01 can't do the same.

I love the 55-02 J-MM configuration so much I just ordered a 44-02 to have the same versatility in a 4 string.

14. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    If you like the 01 get it. If later you're not as pleased with it (which can happen with any bass you buy) you can always upgrade/change the electronics. jmo

15. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    ditto :D

16. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I was actually "Stunned" on how well it could mimmick all those basses there were mention but it does and if you really want to up the Ante"Try the 55-02 thru a Sadowsky outboard preamp.
    I gotta tellya this damn bass does every thing good.

17. A more difficult question:

Is a 55-02 worth the extra money over a 55-01 with Bart NTMB preeamp?

:confused:

18. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I would still say yes due to the J-MM pickup configuration. Each of the 3 options on the MM pickup, PLUS the option to blend in the neck pickup in each of these variations, gives a versatility to the 55-02 that the 55-01 soapbars can't match IMO. I feel like a parrot here, but it's like taking 4-5 basses on a gig in one gig bag!

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

20. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have two 55-02 Deluxes and I wouldn't have bought them unless I felt that they were worth the extra money. In my opinion the pickup configuration, the electronics, the pickups themselves, and the sound overall justify the little extra cash. Find a used 55-02 and the price difference is negated. Honestly, i played both exstensively and IN MY OPINION, the 55-02 sounds a lot better and is much more versatile. However, to each his own. :D