1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland 55-01 Mod Pickups, preamp or both?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mikecd1, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    CT, New England
    I have read a lot here about what various folks have put in their 55-01's to upgrade their tone. It's all a matter of preference and I'm on the fence because I do actually like the MK1's, but the top is a little harsh and the bottom not very tight. They are okay and I seem to be able to get by with them live thanks to my Sansamp Bass driver.

On the fence if I should just change over to Bart MK5 pickups and leave the preamp or change out the preamp and leave the pickups. I'm pretty sure I'll get the MK5's eventually either way and wonder how they will work with either a Lakland LH3 peamp, the Bart 5.2 or the Aguilar. If anyone has any experience with the MK5's and any of those preamps, I'd love to hear your feedback. All three pre's offer active / passive and have some sort of way to change the mid frequency either with a push pull or dip switches on the Lakland.

Anyone using the barts I'd be curious to know if you're running them parallel or in series and how you like the sound. Thanks guys!

2. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    There are two Huge threads about the mods guys have done to these basses. Tons of info there. There is a link to the second thread at the end of the first.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/lakland-01-club-404476/

I had a 5501 with the MK1 barts changed them to the MK5's and a Audere preamp. MK5's were clearer, warmer but a little less highs I chose the Audere because its was very transparent. I've seen so many combinations on this bass. You really can't go wrong, you have to find something that works for you.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have MK5's with an Audere 4 band in my 5501, it's an absolute tone monster.

The key to the MK5's is the coil switching. Series/parallel didn't do much for me, I went with a single switch that does inner coils/outer coils/series humbucking. It's stellar. 60's jazz, 70's jazz, Stingray, and Precision all in one bass. The MK5's have a beautiful bite to them, nice and crisp.

4. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    CT, New England
    Thanks, I did find that thread which gave me a lot of ideas. Your switching sounds great too. Not looking for transparent tone so likely an ntmb or obp3 would be my choice. Lots of coil combos to think about. If you have any clips, very curious