Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-01 or 55-02 for slapping?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B String, Nov 16, 2004.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Which of these basses has it for slapping? Haven't
    been able to hear either one through a good amp.
    Looking for a good work bass. The Skylines seem
    just fine. A little help here please?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If you are looking specifically for a "slap" bass, I'd recommend a 55-02 with Seymour Duncan pickups. They are a bit more geared towards the "slap" sound than the bartolinis.

3. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    IMHO, the 55-02 is a all around a far superior bass to the 55-01.

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I used to have a 55-01 and have played a 55-02. Like Mobay45 said, the 55-02 is a better bass. But it's more expensive so that's to be expected. It's got higher grade electronics and pickups and one can infer from Lakland's website that it goes through a more thorough inspection process. This is all relative though. If you have something that's "really good" and something that's "slightly better", the something that's "really good" is still going to be really good no matter how you slice it.

IMO they are both capable of getting a good slap tone. The main qualifier is going to be technique, and one or the other isn't going to make or break things for you.

5. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The 55-01 i'm looking at, is a deluxe model with stock
    pickups and a Bartolini preamp and maple top.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I agree the 55-02 is a superior bass, but, with the exception of preamp and pickups, it's IDENTICAL to the 55-01. Same neck , body, bridge, hardware, etc.

7. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    And that's why I think it's a better bass. Mostly because of the pickup configuration. Of course you know I like EBMM and the 55-02 has the bridge humbucker. I really like the sound of the jazz pup in the neck position too. I did like the feel of the 55-01, I just didn't like the sound of the Bart soapbars. The only reason that I prefer the 55-02 to the SR5 is that the feel of the neck profile and the string spacing are preferable to me.

I guess "all around" was a bit of an overstatement.

8. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    The only other thing I would like to add would be that I do very little slap, but the tighter string spacing seems to work better for me when I do. If I used that method a lot, I would probably prefer the Stingray to the Lakland.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The pickups in the 55-01 are better for slap than the stock pickups in the 55-02 IMHO. But if you get the 55-02 with the optional Basslines setup, it is a slap monster!

10. d_money

d_money

Jun 13, 2004
    Well I was the owner of a 55-01 that I've recently sold and the day that I bought it, that bass beat out a 55-02 that i was thinking about buying. I don't think that a 55-02 is that much superior to the 55-01. I just think it's a matter of taste. I also do agree that the 55-02 has the better electronic package but everything just doesn't always go as it's planned on paper because if that was the case then every Fender jazz regardless of year would sound the same and it wouldn't be a need for them bringing back relic models and all the other variations they have to the jazz bass model. The best way to tell how a bass is by what that particular player likes as well as if everything working according to how the manufacturer envisioned it in his/her mind.

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Wow, I didn't know that the Basslines package was an option for the Skyline basses. I bet that would be a very cool sounding bass.

I've played both, and both are really great sounding basses, but I think that the 55-01 does slap and tapping a bit better than the 55-02. I think that the p-ups are a little hotter and brighter on the 55-01 which makes it better for this particular application. I must say that I was pretty much blown away by how good the 55-01 was, and for the money, I'd take one of those any day over the upgraded 55-02.

12. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    oh THIS is helpfull! Wow, I didn't expect so many
    different opinions. I think i'm back to square one.

13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Excellent point.

I miss my 55-01. I'd love to see a 55-01 with Nordstrand soapbars (if they fit). :eek: :bassist:

14. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Skyline 55-02 Thread

Here's a topic that I opened a few weeks ago. It has an mp3 too, with slapping in it, so you can listen it well. Plain setting, with preamp on.

That is, I own a new 55-02 since a few weeks. The slapsound is nice but very allround. If you look for a 'specific' sound (can't explain it in a way) don't take the 55-02. If allround suits you...do it. It is very versatile, but it doesn't pop out of the speakers when slapping IMO. I like it anyway, but you could be asking for some more balls in the sound. Nevertheless it sounds warm!

15. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
  16. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    The Darryl Jones is a fantastic piece of Lakland.... man, I played on a fourstring and it was really a thing with balls! The fact that I wanted a fivestring definitely, made me coose the 55.02, but the sound of the DJ was better. Definitely.

Can't wait to hear the fivestring DJ, although it takes some more time when it finally enters Europe.

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    A friend of mine in another local band (the guy I bought my F from) recently got a 55-01. It was a deal where the local music store went ahead and ordered it in for him just because he had been there and inquired about one. So, they gave it to him to try out, and he ended up buying it.

He is mainly a slap player, and the 55-01 sounds unbelievable. I was blown away by the sounds he was getting out of it. He does a lot of tapping as well, and it sounded great played that way also. He has let me play it a few times, and it is a great playing bass.

I have never played a 55-02, so I can't comment there. But I will say that the 55-01 kicks butt IMHO.

18. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    That's not a bad idea! Perhaps not as cool as your LOWDOWN!

19. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
  20. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    44-02 owner here. Without a doubt the 55-02, MUCH better preamp and p/ups for slapping.