1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland 55-01 or 55-02?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zackthompson, Aug 16, 2012.

1. zackthompson

zackthompson Endorsing Artist: MJC Ironworks Strings Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    I got the opportunity to play my 1st Lakland last night, and o my gosh. Really really great basses. I played a 55-01. Is the 55-02 better, equal, or worse than the 01? What are your thoughts?

2. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Before I bought a 55-01 I did a side by side try out in the shop with a 55-02. It didn't really feel nor sound much different and certainly I thought that the 55-02 wasn't worth the extra cash.
    As it turned out, I couldn't get comfortable with the 55-01 and so didn't keep it long.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The stock 55-02 pups / elex are somewhat better but the 55-01 is no slouch, either....just a matter of personal preference.

Riis

4. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    CT, New England
    Different sound IMO. Ceramic soapbars and korean bart preamp on the 55-01 and usa alnico MM and J pups with USA Hanson preamp on the 55-02. Depends a lot on the sound you're after, but I think the feel is the same, both are plek'd if you buy new, just different sound due to the electronics. I own a korean 44-01 which I love and has one of the best necks I've ever played. I prefer the soapbars, but you may like the alnico mm&j combo better. Lakland has some sound clips on their site that may help you. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Definitely different sound. 55-02 originally had US Bartolini pups and pre (now Lakland/Hanson). 55-01 has Korean version of Bart pups and pre (MK1). I had the 55-02 but could not get comfortable with the playing position on the bass (I have to have my hands in a certain position when I play and the pickup locations made it uncomfortable for me). I currently have a 55-01 and love it. I have upgraded the pre to a US Bartolini 5.2AP. Will be upgrading the pickups to US versions as well. Killer playing bass. The electronics make the 55-02 worth more but I don't think it's a better bass (playing or sounding) per se. Just my opinion.

6. 55-02 for the same electronics as the US 55-94

7. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    I'm a sucker for soapbars!
    [​IMG]

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I think it depends on a few things.

Firstly, the basses themselves are identical. There is no difference.

The difference in the electronics. The 55-02 has much better electronics from the factory. The 55-01 has the Korean made pickups and preamp which is what makes it cost quite a bit less.

If you can't/won't upgrade the electronics on a 55-01, then get a 55-02.

However, if you like to do such a thing, then the 55-01 is killer and quite a bit more versatile than the 55-02.

For example, look at the drop in pickups just from Nordstrand for example:
    Big Singles
    Split Singles
    Dual Coil
    Fat Stacks

Pretty much covers everything. With the 55-02 you're stuck with that jazz pickup at the neck, and very few choices for the bridge if you would want to change.

So, I vote for the 55-01 all the way, but I like to customize stuff so it was a no brainer. Here's what I did:

55-01 $600
    Audere 3Z Preamp (used) $125
    Bart USA MK5 Pickups (used) $100
    I wired them with a 3 way switch to get inner coils, outer coils, and series humbucker. So, that covers 60's Jazz, 70's Jazz, Stingray, and Pbass. All in one bass. Add to that the 3 Z-Modes and the passive mode from the preamp and that's one killer bass for less than the price of a well used 55-02 and it does things that a stock 55-02 could never dream of!

Like to upgrade? 55-01.
    Afraid to upgrade? 55-02.

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Agreed with my boy, mmbongo! I'm a fan of the 01 series. A pickup upgrade makes them an incredible bass!

10. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    +1

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

+1 Preamp has already been upgraded. Pickups next!

12. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    CT, New England
    +1 to mmbongo - lots of upgrade choices on pups and pre with 55-01. Same bass as 55-02 just different electronics. I also vote soapbar all the way and to go a step further prefer ceramic over alnico on this bass and dual coils over singles or splits.