1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 55-01 or Carvin BX75?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baddarryl, Mar 21, 2009.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Hi Guys. I have heard so much and read so much about these basses that I would probably take the risk of ordering one sight unseen. My only concern is the neck size. I have heard that if you have small hands this could be a problem. I am not a 5 string player but have tried a few. A MM Stingray felt comfortable, so did a Warwick Corvette 5. How does the Lakland 55-01 compare to those two? Definately has them beat price wise. What about compared to a Fender Jazz V as well? I have tried all 3. Would you order one sight unseen? No dealer here. Thanks in advance as always.

The other one I am considering is the Carvin XB75. I did order a Carvin Guitar unseen 20 years ago and it was magic. I would expect the same again. Here it is:
    https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=xb75

2. My take on the Lakland 55-01, had one 6 mths and sold it, very anemic sounding bass, dead spots all over the neck. I now own a '08' MIA Fender Jazz V and the 55-01 doesn't even come close to competing with the Fender in sound. The 01 is active and the Jazz is passive and as far as sound goes the Jazz is fat, thick and powerful. The 55-01 has a great B string but the rest of the strings are very weak in comparison. Quality wise the the 55-01 is nice, but lacks considerably in the sound department.

3. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    bump

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    That Carvin is sweet, and I usually dont like em.

5. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The Lakland neck is definitely wider than the MM or the Warwick. Wide 19mm bridge string spacing. Lakland's also a little wider at the nut. The MM and Warwick are narrower. More important-the Lakland is 35" scale and the Carvin is 36" scale. If you are use to 34" 4 strings, that is the bigger issue.

6. vinxbass comments are funny. I had exactlly the opposite feeling. Not in sound, I dont prefer clean Bartolini sound, but the 55-01 neck blew the Fender away. No contest.

He is not wrong, and I am not right, but YOU must choose for yourself grasshopper. None of us matter.

I REALLY DIG that purple tiger on the Carvin in the pic. Whoa. Never heard anything bad about Carvin except for resale value.