1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 55-01 owners sound off!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Just scored this:
    5501.gif

DHL has it, I don't get it til Friday...in leiu of having it in my hands if y'all could just rave about them for a while (or complain, I don't mind hearing downsides either) maybe that'll keep me busy til Friday when I can beat on one meself!

thanks, alan

2. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I think you know how I feel about the 55-01's.
    really great value, rock solid construction, real good B, nice stock sound and a great platform for mods if you want.
    Everyone probably tired of seeing this, but you asked!
    55-01, Inca Silver, Nordstrand Dual Coils, Bart NTMB-L
    DSC02636.jpg
    Bill

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    No pic yet but best bass for the buck under 1500 IME. Mine's black with maple board and the optional white guard, which I swapped for the "snakeskin" pattern rom pickguards.com. Definite eye candy. Some of my other basses have limits, but the 5501 allows me to play any style, song or technique I'm able (which ain't much but I'm workin' on it- LOL).

4. I also have an Inca Silver 55-01. It will soon be getting some Nordstrand pickups as well. I was very impressed with the clips of those. :D

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yessir Bill, you know how I feel about your bass;)
    The bill's in the mail; google found you, easy.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The electronics are merely adequate, but it sounds great played unplugged. I was really looking at that natural/maple one in the classifieds (which I assume you bought) with an eye toward putting Nordstrands and a decent preamp into it. I miss the one I used to have.

7. I was going to throw some Nordies in my 55-01 and keep it passive before I sold it a month ago in favor of another 96' ATK305 I found... I just couldnt get used to the 35" scale, but I took the preamp out and went passive with the barts and the sound and quality were top notch! Especailly for the money.

8. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I have a maple, 55-01 in the now discontinued cherry burst finish. I got it here from HollowMan.

It's really a great bass. Lowest action of any of my fretted instruments and very versatile. The 35" scale really makes for a strong b string. Great pups and very versatile sonically. The preamp is the weakest link -a bit agressive for my tastes, and the volume taper is kind of uneven in the last quarter- but is still definately useable. I've played the 44-01 with the stock pups but with the new Lakland preamp at the lakland factory and it sounds great!

I've said it before, but with it's fantastic build quality, great components, and buttery playability, the 55-01 really is one of the great underrated basses currently available.

10. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd love to hear how this turns out (even better -- soundsclips!:bassist:)...

... especially if the 55-01 has a maple board and you put in some Big Singles, Big Splits or Nordstrand stacked humbuckers (I forget the name off-hand).

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    mgmadian, search in pickups.
    Bill Bern put Nord dual coils in his, and there are soundclips posted.

That's why I bought mine (which came from ebay, not here).

12. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I hear ya... I read that thread a while back with interest... though Dual Coils are pretty much the only Nordstrand pup I'm not too interested in :) For whatever reason, I've never taken a shine to the thumbed / slapped sound of any bass with side-by-side humbuckers.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Then the Fat Stack or Big Single are prolly yer ticket...

14. lamar828

lamar828

Nov 15, 2006
    Dedham MA
    55-01 Cherry Sunburst. All mine

Attached Files:

15. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    My 55-01 is a 2002 Candy Apple Red Fretless. When I ordered it through our local shop, I had them check to see if I could get the NTMB pre-amp as a replacement. At the time it was available on the fretted, but not the fretless 55-01's. Somehow, Dan and the guys at Lakland came through and installed it. I don't know if there are many NTMB 55-01 fretless basses out there (I haven't seen any others), so it's possible I've got a rare one.

As far as the sound goes, with the neck pickup dialed in, the bass is aggressive, but at the same time, old-school. Dialing in the bridge gives more mwah. The B is just flat-out solid (like dropping a ton of bricks).

I love playing it, but it's the third Lakland in the stable (a 55-02 and a JO-5). Being fretless, it's always going to be used for special occasions.

16. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs

Inca silver and RW.....mmmmmmmm....looks so natural on a Lakie 5er!!!! wish that was still a Skyline color option!

PS the Nordies look good as well...

17. I had one for a while and the build quality and tone were totally first rate, but unfortunately it felt like strapping a surfboard to my chest. too big and unwieldy compared to my fenders and spectors.

18. Glad to have one. Really enjoy it.

19. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I'm really interested in nany "sonic comments" y'all care to make.
    I already have a 5502, so I'm familiair with how it will feel and play...

thanks, alan

20. Alan,
    You should really love that bass. I have a 55-02 fretted and fretless but I really like the 55-01 too. Nice warm aggressive sound. I found out that Ed Friedland just bought one. Go to his website www.edfriedland.com and send him an email. He'll give you a real positive review on that bass. He loves it the way it is and doesn't plan on changing any electronics or pickups in the future.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021