Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-01 Pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    :help: :help: :help:

I'm buying a lakland 55-01 for a high quality workhorse bass to take the place of my roscoe for playing live and jamming, but unfortunately no one around me sells them. I only have a few days to decide being that i want to make sure i have ALOT of time to play with it (A pro drummer who's been playing for longer than i've been alive wants me to cut a demo with him :hyper: ) and i have 2 options, A Silver/Rosewood, or a 3-tone/Rosewood. I'm asking basscentral for pics too, but i was wondering if anyone here on TB has GOOD pics of standard 55-01s in those configs.

Thanks in advance!! Hopefully i'll be posting a new bass thread soon :D

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    IMHO a 55-01 won't compare to a Roscoe (assuming they're both in exactly the same condition, etc.), but they are great basses... especially at their price point. Also, for less than the price of the Roscoe, you can get into a 55-02, which has the USA electronics, which are awesome. I played a 55-01 recently, and while I thought it was real nice, it didn't blow me away like my 55-02 did. Again, IMHO.

3. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Yea i know. It kills me, but just can't afford a 55-02.

Maybe i wasn't clear, i'm definately NOT selling the roscoe to get another bass, i just want a workhorse type bass to take a beating in the Roscoe's place. Nothing short of an FBass or a NOrdstrand will compare to this bad boy. The roscoe was the last thing my grandfather gave me before he died so it CANNOT be stolen or seriously damaged, which unfortunately happens all to much to basses that go on the road and to practices. I also find it easier to noodle on the five string basses i've played. Alot easier on the wrist hehe.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have a 55-01 in sunburst but it has a maple neck.

5. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    what the hey, post it anyway! That's actually a third option for me.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, if we are open to post things other than your first two options, here is my D55-01 in cherry sunburst with maple board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    One word. Sweet. That american flag Do rag compliments it nicely :D

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
  9. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Why must you tempt me!! :mad: :bawl: If i could get a 55-02 for 700 bucks i would jump on it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the pics man.

10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Sorry, that wasn't exactly the plan. Actually, I remembered those pictures from when I bought mine, which was only about 6 weeks ago. The pictures just happened to still be up on both sites. Honest, all I was trying to do was show the combination you asked for. :)

If you're open to any other combinations mine is in my profile. Again, it's a 55-02, but if you'd consider a natural/rosewood you can see what that looks like.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Here's my 55-01. Tri-Burst w/maple neck.

12. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    [​IMG]

13. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    No worries :D

That Natural/Rosewood combo looks REAL nice. I might have to look around for one like that!

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

In my case, I liked the look of the maple neck over the rosewood and plus I have a ton of rosewood necked basses and wanted something different. Granted the maple neck plays pretty bright and you have to dial in some warmth but I like the contrast and it's great for slapping!

15. This is my 55-01 NTBM silver / maple...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Damn, that's a nice setup! I run mine through a Hartke 5500 and Avatar 2x10 & 1x12 cabs. I like those Aguilars.

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Great lookin' rig! BTW, I don't have a 55-01, but I run my 55-02 thru an EBS HD350 and a pair of Aggies. Love it.

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

Attached Files:

19. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    I have the exact same bass:)

20. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Same also in a 02... only pic I have is in profile...