Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-01 pre-amp bypass!!!???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by {OE}, Oct 9, 2004.

1. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! :scowl:

Yeah, I know, its my own fault for not doing enough research before buying, but this is the only thing that really bothers me about this bass. I also did not have the luxury of trying before buying.

One of the reasons I bought this bass was for the ability to switch between an active and passive sound as well as to be able keep playing even if my battery went dead.

Can someone please explain to me the point of using a pre-amp bypass switch in a bass with active pu.'s!!!!!!????? :confused: :rolleyes:

God I miss my G&L :bawl:

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Er... I'm a little confused. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

The stock pickups in the 55-01 aren't active, they're passive with an active preamp.

3. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    The search results I have read so far state that they are active, ( or "may" be active....lol ).

Also, removing the battery from the bass results in no sound; which, to me would confirm they are active. ( yes, the pre-amp was bypassed)

4. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    The default stock 55-01 preamp bypass only bypasses the eq. It doesn't bypass the preamp. But if you were to upgrade to the Bart NTMB preamp for the 55-01 ($200 charge), the bypass becomes a true bypass.

Hope this helps!

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Really? That seems rather... pointless. (IMO)

6. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    LMAO! that figures.... :rolleyes: Still dont understand the point in that, but I digress...

Looks like I will be in the market for some new pu.'s as well. :meh:

:edit: DOH! strike that last comment... too much coffee and too little sleep... the new pu.'s can wait

Thanks for the replies! :D

Re: Trevorus ; How easily? Like "moronic" easily? I have no electronic experience ( besides operation) and may not even have the proper tools? This is my "baby" and Im not going to attempt anything that could lead to our "separation" heh

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You could quite easily rewire it to be a true bypass...

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Most preamp'd basses don't have a true-bypass but the bass will still fire passively even if the battery is essentially dead and you get nothing actively. So it makes sense in that sense. The reason you don't get fire when you pull the battery is that you've broken a complete circuit through the pups. Unless one pup in a pair of active pups is actually passive, there can be no such thing as a passive by-pass in a bass with active pups.

I see no by-pass in the Bart NTMB diagram but if it were wired as they've wired their TCT by-pass, that's not a true by-pass either cuase they're not breaking current flow between the jack and battery. From their TCT diagram you'd need either a TPTT switch or to add a SPDT switch (in effect, it does the same thing you did by pulling the battery). And you should be able to do that on your exsiting system if you choose. For what it's, you can tell a definite difference in the quality of tone between a by-pass and true by-pass.

9. The pickups in the 55-01 are passive, and run just fine without a battery, but the stock preamp doesn't allow for that (as you've seen). That drove me nuts, too. I replaced it with an NTMB set up with the 5.2 (NTMB 5.2?) pre-wired harness, which I got from BestBassGear for about $135. That one does include a true passive bypasss, as well as a mid frequency switch, and it sounded better top my ears as well.

The only wiring involved is soldering the pickup connections and battery jack, but even that might be a bit much is you have no real experience with a soldering iron. Any local repairman could do it pretty cheaply, though.

Mike

10. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Thanks guys!

The only two basses Ive owned that had true bypass pre.'s were a B.C. Rich and my G&L L2000, and out of all my basses they sounded best in passive.

Hey mike, whats your opinion of the "true" passive sound of the MK barts?

I was thinking of just running from pups, straight to jack as I do not use any of the onboard knobs, ( volume always fully open, blend always evenly split) except to occassionally cut mids and highs if Im going for a dub sound, not thats its needed though. As I do not really use it, I figured it would be better to just remove it from my line signal, less noise, less worries, etc.....

Barring that, I'll prolly just leave it stock and save the cash for an a outboard pre as it will have additional use when Im able to finish my homemade 4 that will be passive. First on the list though is an Alem. F-1X :bassist:

TB= Most friendly/open-minded/helpful community I have encountered!!! W00t! Holla! :hyper:

11. True, the NTMB doesn't really have a "true" bypass--the battery can be dead but it still has to be there, and the volume and blend controls still work. The MK pickups actually sound darn good in passive mode, though--a bit brash and aggressive, but not overly so.

Mike

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I personally have preferred the Bart pre's: NTMB's, NTBT, TCT's - I think I've had about a dozen of them. You can convert the NTMB (or any onboard I've run across) to an outboard by simply swapping a couple of wires, adding a jack, and sticking it in a box.