Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-01 question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TampaBlues, Mar 18, 2004.

1. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Ok, so I am going to get one of these. I have only budgeted so much for it though. I want to get the Cherry sunburst deluxe with a rosewood fretboard. I like the quilted top!! The question is I can get one in a "standard" cherry sunburst with the NTMB electronics for the same amount of $$, Is the NTMB electronics so much of a difference in tone etc. that I should forget about going with the deluxe and forget the quilted top? Should I sacrifice cosmetics for tone? Is the difference in tone really that significant?? I really, really like the quilted top. :confused:

2. dumeril7

dumeril7

Oct 21, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I would go ahead and get the quilted version without the electronics. Here's my thinking: You can always upgrade the electronics, but you're pretty much stuck with the finish/top. Having said that, the US-made Bartolini preamp is noticeably better (although the Korean preamp is quite good IMO). I have a standard version 55-01, BTW.

D7

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I would agree. You could probably get a better preamp put in later when you have more money. But you won't be able to change the top. Go for asthetic beauty on this one!

BTW, there's nothing wrong with the standard 55-01 electronics.