Lakland 55-01 question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Apr 26, 2005.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Anyone here not entirely happy with thiers? What type of strings are shipped with this bass? And is it normal for them to make so much noise against the frets? For the life of me, I can't get comfortable with this bass. I've had it set up twice already! I'm thinking the frets need to be sanded way down or something but I just cannot dig in on this bass! The action is low but it's really not that low! Anyone having similar problems?
  2. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    nope. sorry I'm no help, but mine kicks and I've got a heavey right hand.
  3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    44-01. I noticed a little more string "clack" than my other basses with the action set the same, but after raising it just a little it goes away. Didn't change the feel of the bass for me. I love mine.
  4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've been pretty happy with mine since I got it. It's the only 35" scale bass I've ever been comfortable with, myself. If your bass is new and factory fresh, it shipped with Lakland strings in .045 gauge.

Here's the kicker - Lakland Skylines come with the smallest frets I've ever seen on any modern production bass, outside of Stingrays from a few decades back. The reason I mention this is because I fought long and hard 10 years ago to get used to the frets on my Sadowsky, which are around half the size of the frets on the Spector I was used to. To me, the frets on the Lakland are even a little bit smaller than Sadowsky's. There's a design philosophy, popularized by Lee Sklar, that says smaller frets on a bass guitar have better intonation and a cleaner, clearer sound. To me, it's not a night and day difference, but it's there and worth exploring to see if you like it.

Basically, I had problems with fret noise and maybe not nailing the notes cleanly all the time during fast runs back then. There was a learning curve involved, and I eventually got over it. Even with that, I still stumbled on the Lakland for a while because those frets really are that small.

My advice if I was asked for my two cents would be to just stick with the bass for a while before you decide to get out of it. It's always possible that there is a manufacturing flaw - the upside of buying a Lakland is that they have some of the best customer service in the biz and will go to great lengths to make you happy.
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmm........smaller frets! All my other basses have jumbo frets and that may be what the problem is. And the fact that the strings are still pretty much brand new I'm gonna have that clangyness until they wear in some. Another question, are the strings nickel or stainless steel?
  6. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I believe they ship with stainless steel strings. Mine now has nickel. And yes the smaller frets do have a different feel, not better or worse for me just different.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Due to the bright nature of the MK-1 pickups and preamp, the 55-01 is not quite as 'forgiving' as a lot of other basses. Mine has a maple board, which makes it even worse.

I have to really clean up my technique when I play mine. Every little finger squeak and fret buzz is magnified.

But the brightness really helps the bass cut through the mix in a band context. I have no problems being heard over loud guitars when I play mine!:D
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Mine has a maple fretboard as well. It's weird because I played a Fender Marcus Miller (maple fretboard) and wasn't nearly as bright, clakkity and clangy as the Lakland. I'm hoping as the strings wear in it'll get a little better or I'm gonna have to take a loss on this one!
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I love this bass for its brightness. If that isn't your thing, you might not. You could try some nickels, they will warm it up a bit.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't mind the brightness it's just the fret noise that's really bugging me!
  11. the fret noise bugged me on my 55-01 when i got it too, but it's all but disappeared since the strings have worn in some and i've gotten used to the different feel. It definately makes me oh so grateful when i pick up my roscoe hehehe.