1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 55-01 question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike M., Apr 13, 2010.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I've never played a Lakland and if time permits I'm going to try some this weekend, particularly a 55-01 because it's within my budget.

Question: I've heard that Lakland's sound a bit "warmer" than some basses (not my words). Is this true with all Laklands or is it more true with certain models/pickup combinations.

Thanks for your time.

2. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    I find that the 55-01 is a fickle bass. Max out the volume, then it sounds very artificial. In a way it is warmer than a lot of basses, but in a way its not. With a clean technique it works very well for me in a jazz setting.

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Seems like an awfully broad, vague statement. It depends on which Lakland model, which pickups, and which "some basses" you're comparing them to. They are warmer than some basses, and not as warm as others...

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    As an owner of five Laklands, I can't really agree or disagree with this statement. Lakland has a pretty diverse product line, with standard body woods of alder, ash and mahogany on different models, and I can think of at least six different pickup configurations on those models.

What the person you talked to may be referring to is this: The US-made 4-94/55-94 and their Skyline counterparts, the 44-02/54-02, have always been Lakland's best-selling models--and until about 2007, they used US-made Bartolini pickups that are generally known for being warm-sounding (some call them "dark"). They have since used their own in-house pickups, which are often described as being more somewhat aggressive in nature.

The 44-01 and the 55-01 have overseas-made Bart pickups, however. Some folks like them, others seem to find them "harsh"-sounding and substitute other pickups. There's a whole "01 Club" centered around these basses.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586391

If you find the 55-01 isn't to your taste, consider looking for the other models used (especially in the TB Classifieds). The 55-02s are more versatile and might end up being more of what you're looking for. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions here.:)

5. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Thanks a bunch for the info. You've really brought up more than what met the eye. Thanks again.

6. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    No problem, glad to be of help!