Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-01 sound sample posted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dumeril7, Jan 12, 2003.

1. dumeril7

dumeril7

Oct 21, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Over Christmas I recorded a little ditty with my 55-01, for fun and to get the thing on CD. Figured some of you might be interested in hearing it. I played all the instruments, except the drums which are an Acid loop. The songwriting isn't anything to speak of, just a groove to jam over really. But it does show off the Lakland pretty well.

The fingerstyle solos were done on the bridge pickup, with the mid boosted a little and everything else flat. The slap part was both pickups and all EQ flat. I played straight into my recorder (a Boss BR-8) using one of its amp models.

So, here it is: Big Opportunity (4MB)

Enjoy,

D7

2. Nice! I'm considering the 55-01 as one of my 5 string choices.

Very nice...

3. 3rdEye

3rdEye

Nov 30, 2002
    CA.
    HEY Dumeril, That was pretty cool; the Lakland sounds great.

4. dumeril7

dumeril7

Oct 21, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

D7

5. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Hey D7, Does your 55-01 have the USA preamp?
    Nice work on the clip.

6. dumeril7

dumeril7

Oct 21, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, Doug! No, mine has the Korean preamp. I do intend to upgrade one day because I've played through a 55-01 with the US-made NTMB preamp and it is noticeably better. But the stock preamp is pretty darn good, IMO.

D7

7. Based on the sound of that clip I wouln't think you'd need to change a thing...

Awsome sound.

8. dumeril7

dumeril7

Oct 21, 2002
    Austin, TX
    >Based on the sound of that clip I wouln't think you'd need to change a thing...
    >
    >Awsome sound.

Well, I'm the classic obsessive-compulsive -- spending 98% of my energies trying to squeeze the last 2% out of my tone! ;) I'm in no hurry to upgrade tho.

D7

9. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Once again, Good job. How about a pic of the tone monster:)

10. dumeril7

dumeril7

Oct 21, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This is just minutes old; wish I'd wiped off the fingerprints. ;)

D7

11. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
  12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Very nice. How many bass tracks did you use? I like the song.

13. dumeril7

dumeril7

Oct 21, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I used two bass tracks -- one for the slap part and one for the solo. In fact, all the solos -- guitar and bass -- are on a single track. I just punched in and out like crazy to get a single track. Had to do it that way because the drums, organ and horn parts used a stereo pair each, and I only had 8 tracks to work with total.

The intro was, not surprisingly, a whole different recording which I cross-faded with the funk part after the fact using Acid. The intro has one bass track.

D7