1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 55-01 vs 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moro, Oct 18, 2006.

1. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm sure this is a FAQ but I wasn't able to find the answer.

Are there any differences between the 55-01 and the 55-02 aside from the electronics?

Thanks.

2. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Except the electronics they are the same bass head to toe...

3. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Cool. Same quality and everything?

I guess I'm just blown away by the idea (the claim) that the quality of the electronics in the 55-02 is $500 more than in the 55-01.

4. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
  5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Electronics is one thing. Pickups is another.
    The biggest difference is in the pickups. More options, totally different tones.

Add to that now the electronics difference.

Does the price increase make a real difference? YES. It does. the MK1 pickups are not that bad. but the preamp.. is awful.

6. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I've heard people say that the stock preamp is ok, though. And if I were to replace it, I could do it for much less than $500.

I do like the MM pickup in the 55-02. I'm kind of hesitant to spend that much money for a different pickup config (even factoring in the cost of replacing the preamp).

7. Wanna B Better

Wanna B Better Guest

May 20, 2006
    Central NY
    If you're going Lakland, get the -02 Period (IMHO)

8. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Interesting, very different opinions in this post then in another previous "what pre-amp to put in my 55-01?" post.
    I just got a 55-01, haven't played it with the band yet but the sound seems pretty good (don't boost the treble though, very hissy), but I still need to wait and see how it sounds overall in a live setting?

9. I'm actually more inclined towards the 55-01. I've compared both, and the 55-01 just seems to bark more. The preamp sounds fine to me :confused:

10. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Heh. I guess the quality of the pickups / electronics is a matter of taste.

Basically, I'm wondering if the quality of the build / finish / fretwork / etc is the same between the 55-01 and 55-02.

11. Yeap, consistent between both models :)

12. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Yes, same quality and everything.

IMHO the price difference reflects the cost of electronics rather than "quality" which is very subjective. 55-02 electronics are made in USA, 55-01 electronics are made in Korea. To decide which is better you have to try both - actually three because you can get a 55-01 with Korean pickups and American electronics. I've actually seen more than a few in talkbass prefer a barebones 55-01 over a 55-02. They really sound different and only you can decide which is better for you.

13. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Cool. I guess I'm leaning toward the 55-01, then. I'm going shopping tonight, so hopefully, they'll have both models for me to try. :)

If you don't like the sound of a bass, plugged in, how can you tell if it's the pickups you don't like, or if it's the preamp? Is this something you develop an ear for, after playing bass for a while?