1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 55-01 vs. Ibanez ATK305

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maniac mikej, Jun 12, 2012.

1. maniac mikej

maniac mikej

Oct 28, 2010
    Mayfield, PA
    My apologies if this has been covered already, search didn't return anything. I currently have an Ibanez ATK305, and it is a great player. I have always been curious about a Lakland 55-01, but the closest Lakland dealer to me is about 3 hours away. I like the sound of my ATK, but I would like something a bit deeper and fuller, especially on the B string. Also, I would really like to have a slightly wider string spacing. With the 55-01 being a 35" scale, I know that will help make the B more pronounced. String spacing I'm clueless on. Anybody out there have any experience comparing these 2?

2. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ooooh, that would be a good comparison. I'd expect they would really give each other a good run. Not sure which would win, I bet it'd come down to subjectivity (ie. which do you prefer)

I'd hold out to score the Lakland used, A/B test them against each other, and sell the loser.

3. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I've actually play a 55-01 and owned an ATK for a short while. From the description of what you're looking for, the 55-01 sounds like it will work for you for sure. It has the 19mm string spacing so it's nice and wide, which I prefer and the 35" scale does help the B string retain a lot of clarity. The MK1 Bartolini electronics package provides a nice array of tonal options. You'll see a lot of people upgrade these but they are very nice on their own. I'm planning on upgrading at some point but I don't ever feel like I'm really missing anything when I'm playing. Sounds great as it comes.

edit: forgot to comment on the ATK. It was a nice bass but it weighed to much for me. I like some of the tones that were in the Musicman area but they didn't get close enough for me so I sold it.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

55-01 is full 19mm string spacing.

5. maniac mikej

maniac mikej

Oct 28, 2010
    Mayfield, PA
    yeah i've heard of a number of people upgrading the preamps in them. that certainly wouldn't be an issue for me, solder is my b*tch. It's definitely going to come down to a feel issue for me. how is the neck on the lakland? im guessing with the wider bridge spacing it will be wider. is is any thinner than the atk? that actually has a really nice neck as far as chunk vs width

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've owned both. If you are looking for the stingray sound, the ATK nails it. Even the 5502 does not get nearly as close as the ATK. The spacing is tight on the ATK. If I remember correctly, it is 16.5mm. The Lakland has 19mm spacing. IMO the ATK is a really a one trick pony (although a really cool trick). The 5501 with upgrades could be a great all around bass. for life. If I had to pick one bass, the 5501 could be a longterm keeper.

Get Nordstrands and a good preamp you will be very happy!

7. maniac mikej

maniac mikej

Oct 28, 2010
    Mayfield, PA
    I think quite honestly, if I found myself unhappy with the tones from a 55-01, I would just slap in an OBP-3 @ 18v and call it a day. they come with bartolinis, right?

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Spacing on an ATK-305 is 17mm, not 16.5. I have had both basses, and they are both really nice mid-priced basses. I recommend holding on to the ATK even you get the Lakland because it does the Stingray thing so well.

9. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've owned both 44-01, 55-01, and ATK300 basses. I agree with Dr. Cheese about the string spacing, but to me, the 35" scale length doesn't make a huge difference other than making me stretch my hands more.

The 01, with stock electronics, has a bit frequency lower tone, but by varying hand placement on the ATK and using the available EQ it can get pretty close.

In this case, I think it's all about string spacing. I recommend trying out the 01 to form you own opinion, but don't do anything "crazy" with the ATK for a while.

Best of luck with the decision!

Bob

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Go to 4:32. My 55-01 has a US Bartolini 5.2AP preamp. Pickups are still stock but further mods are coming soon.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My brother, you are the king of Old School! You've got that 55-01 sounding good!:bassist:

12. I've got both. I've mainly been playing narrower-spaced 34" 5ers lately (the ATK and my G&L Trib L-2500), but I busted out the 55-01 at rehearsal last night and it felt HUGE, almost uncomfortably so because I wasn't used to it. Sounded good though, with a more versatile range of tones than the ATK, and like everyone says, the Lakland B is killer. I think I'm more comfortable on 34" scale, but if your hands are craving 35" and wider spacing, you'll probably love the 55-01.

13. Wow, I love that band! :) And the bass doesn't sound bad! Is it fully stock?

14. Wow, I love that band! And the bass doesn't sound bad! Is it fully stock?

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No. The preamp was upgraded to a US Bartolini 5.2AP. Tuners are US Hipshot Ultralights (not the cheaper Lic. by Hipshot). Pickups will be upgraded soon to either US Barts Classic Series or Nordstrands. Not sure yet.

16. Thanks! Oh, I didn't read your first post properly, sorry! Great band! Do you have any recordings other than that?