Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-01 vs Ibanez BTB405QM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Mar 31, 2005.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Which is the better bass? And better buy? :)

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Lakland.

IMHO, it's not even close.

3. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    +1

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another +1 here.

I own a 55-01. I have played several BTB405 and 406s. The tone of the Ibanez does not come close to the Lakland. And I prefer the neck profile on the Lakland too. And it has better fit & finish.

5. embellisher

It is real quilt.

Maybe the fit & finish has improved since I last played one of these. Most of the ones that I have played had some fretwork issues, and flaws in the finish. They all had good, tight neck pockets. A couple had a poorly cut nut.

I have also known a few people who had problems with the monorail bridge a few months after buying it.

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    55-01. Not even close IMO.

7. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I haven't played an Ibanez but do own a 5501. The quality of the 5501 is exceptional - especially for the price. It is a good player and definitely a value.

8. embellisher

Two individuals had one of the monorail assemblies break, and they had to be replaced by Ibanez, under warranty. These same two individuals, along with a couple of others, had issues with the assemblies 'falling apart'. I'm sure that could be prevented by setting the bass up the way that you want it and then using locktite on the screw threads to keep them where you want them.

9. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    55-01 all day, every day.

10. embellisher

SMASH, I think they were indeed the 'Monorail 1'. I didn't know that the bridge had been redesigned.