1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 55-01 vs. Yamaha TRB 1005

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pocketbass, Mar 30, 2009.

1. pocketbass

pocketbass

Jul 6, 2008
    I just wanted to see if anyone wants to chime in on this topic. I am looking for a 5 string bass. These two seemed in my price range. They both are around the same price and have the same features. I haven't had the chance to play either, but I have to find a store around me that sells them. Any input will be appreciated.:D

2. Lakland 5501:hyper:

3. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    no exp with the yammie but I love my lakland. The neck is great. The body shape gives good access to all parts of the neck and they are very receptive to mods. Grab a used one then with the extra loot you could drop in a different pre and pick ups if u like and still come out way under a grand. Mine I got from a fellow tb'r it has Nordstrand Big Split pickups and a sadowsky pre, with a decent hardshell case it was about the price of a new 55-01. Just a thought

4. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    L A K L A N D.

G

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Wise words. I have played the Yamaha TRB 1005 and it is a good quality instrument.

Later, I bought a 55-01D because I felt the neck ergonomics/feel were more suited to my tastes and felt the fretwork was better. I will never sell it.

6. pocketbass

pocketbass

Jul 6, 2008
    Thanks for the replies.

Jim, how do the stock pickups on the Lakland compare to the stock pickups on the Yamaha?

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I myself prefer the TRB over the 55-01. I think it sounds a bit better and to me the neck was much more comfortable.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    To be honest, it has been too long since I played the Yamaha to comment, I just know that the Lakland neck won me over.

My 55-01 still has the Barts and the stock Korean pre-amp it was built with. That preamp has gotten a bit of hate on TB, and is no longer offered (it was super hot and has no mid-band dip/trim pot). Yet, I still love it and only out of curiosity have been tempted to stick Nordstrand FatStacks or BigSingles in it (along with an Aguilar pre)--but I digress. :D

Lakland now offers a much better pre in the 55-01, I believe.

If you can play them side-by-side, your answer will be clear. If you have to go to different shops, I suggest bringing a headphone amp and your own "cans" to try each bass. Rigs and acoustic space can make such a difference in our perception of a bass's tone. :cool:

9. You really owe it to yourself to try both. Feel is such a personal thing. So is tone, for that matter. I had a stock 55-01 Deluxe. I just couldn't warm up to it. The neck felt uncomfortable, it had rough fret ends, and it just generally felt lifeless and uninspiring. The preamp was hissy and sounded cold and artificial. The B string, while solid, was overpowering compared to the other strings.

I sold the Lakland, and bought a TRB1005 after a short audition at GC. As soon as I plugged it in, my son went, "Whoa, that sounds great!" I had to agree. The neck felt perfect to me, and the fretwork was flawless. It's easily the most comfy 5-string neck I've played. I wouldn't change anything about the bass regarding its ergonomics. I usually leave the controls flat and use my Sadowsky outboard for its more organic-sounding tone shaping, but the Yammie preamp sounds good. I much prefer it to my Lakland's. And the TRB's B string is solid and balances nicely with the others.

Again, play both if you can. I know the 55-01 has a great reputation around here, but for my hands and ears, the TRB1005 is the clear winner. :cool:

Peter Weil likes this.