Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-01 with NTMB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Apr 17, 2005.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    How is the NTMB upgrade on the 55-01? I have looked in passed threads and nobody has really commented on it. If anybody has done it let me know how it sounds please. :)

2. Actually, a couple of us have commented on it several times.

Oh wait, that's just me! ;)

Mike

3. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Mr Zimmerman was very helpful when I asked a similar question via PM. Thanks Mike!

Regards

Mike

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a 55-01 deluxe w/ NTMB that I bought new from good ole' Gard at BC. I special ordered it that way so it was factory installed. I've never played a stock 55-01 so I can't personally comment on the sonic diff. Prior to buying this bass, I sniffed around in past TB theads for comments on this particular issue. I seem to remember reading a thread where a poster mentioned that the highs are less brittle/harsh with the NTMB when the preamp's treble control is turned up. He also reported that the "taper" of the volume, blend and tone controls are more even with the NTMB. At this point, this is "heresay", so take it with a grain of salt.

I can say that I'm very happy with my 55-01 deluxe w/ NTMB and a rosewood board. I recently had it defretted and it's become my one fretless.

5. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a 55-01 that I upgraded with USA Bart pickups and the NTMB preamp. I had it stock for like 2 years and I really liked it but I wanted to see if the upgrade made a difference. To me it made the bass 200% better. I never loved the stock bridge pickup and now I get great growl and punch with the new pickups. The NTMB is more versatile than the stock preamp. It has a push/pull mid knob that lets you swith between two different midgrande frequencies and both are very usable. I leave the treble and bass knob flat most of the time (sometimes I cut treble) and always boost the mids a little bit. This gives me a lot of punch in the most important midrange area that lets me cut through the bands mix. The treble is not harsh anymore. I can boost it all the way and i dont get any hiss or brittle highs as I used to get with the stock preamp. To me the preamp made the bass a lot better and the pickups also added to the improvement in sound. I you need to change only one, I'd suggest going witht the preamp upgrade. I've never tried the 55-02, but since I own a Stingray and a Jazz, I feel that the 55-01 gives me an in-between sound but with far more versatility and an awesome neck that I can't get with my other basses.

I hope this helps...

6. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Thanks Afroman I had ordered one with the Ntmb upgrade. I just wanted to know if it was worth the money. :)

7. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    No problem. i hope you enjoy it as much as i do.
    Take care...