Lakland 55-01

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Is it too good to be true? Or is it really a great bass for cheap?

Hows the B on this thing? And the string spacing?

Any chance anyone can get me an mp3 of these boys in action?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The B string is great. Only a few I have played are better. Peavey Cirrus, Modulus Quantum and Roscoe. The string spacing is Jazz like. A little narrow at the nut, nice and wide at the bridge.

The only two things that I don't like is that the neck is kind of chunky, and the preamp is not up to par with USA Bart preamps. But it is still a much better preamp than most other active basses under a grand come with.
  3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Great playing and sounding bass. A bargain for the price.
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    It's a tough bass to pass up on. I've played a couple and have been really amazed with them. The 55-01 in my opinion is a bit more percussive and not as quite as the 55-02. It's definitly a more aggressive bass. I prefer the 55-02, but for the price, the 55-01 is pretty tough to pass up on.
  5. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I was using an MTD Beast 5, a very nice bass, until I got a Lakland 55-01 used at a good price. The original idea was to have the Lakland as a backup.

I have small hands and the Lakland neck actually feels better and slimmer to me than the very nice MTD asymmetrical neck. I put in a Sadowsky preamp (the preamp it came with is OK but nothing special), real Hipshot tuners (mine came with those awful Korean fake Gotohs), and TI Jazz flat strings.

Total investment is under $800 and IMHO this is a world-class bass. I play it every day and rarely play anything else. Sold my Fernandes Gravity 4. Gave the MTD to my son. Selling the mexiJazz. '69 P and Fernandes 5 fretless sit un-used.

Works for me - highly recommended!