1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland 55-02 against the 55-94??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by djbyron, Jan 18, 2002.

1. djbyron

djbyron

Jan 18, 2002
    Saratoga, NY
    Just curious if anyone has played both of these basses and could fill me in on the AUDIBLE differences. (Obviously there are construction pros and cons). :confused:

2. I have a 55-94. The electronics are the same - hell, if the neck is stable *I* may buy a Skyline. Seems to me that the price of a 55-02 and a set of Hipshot Ultralites is less than the price of a shiny new made in the USA 55-94.

I'd like to A/B them also. Has anyone played both?

allan

3. Yes, and I don't want to get Dan Lakin (my former employer) mad at me, but if you can get by the cheaper hardware, and the flat sawn neck, and the plastic nut, the dyed fingerboard, and the fact that they are not offering a figured top, or a fretless (yet). Then, by all means, you should buy the 55-02. It's a great bass for the price.

just my .02

4. DTBASS40

DTBASS40

Dec 20, 2016
    Might be a dumb question here...
    Can u elaborate a bit with "flat sawn neck"???
    The US made 55-14... what's the difference in neck?

Alembiccucurbit likes this.
  5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012

Alembiccucurbit likes this.
  6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Here's a good explanation of the difference between flat sawn and quarter sawn wood:
    Sawn Lumber - Quarter Sawn vs Plain Sawn vs Rift Sawn

The Lakland Skyline models have flat sawn necks; the American made models use quarter sawn lumber for the necks. Some luthiers will claim quarter sawn necks are more stable. All luthiers will claim quarter sawn necks are more expensive.

Alembiccucurbit and GregC like this.
  7. DTBASS40

DTBASS40

Dec 20, 2016
    Ahh..
    thank you so much

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Quartersawn wood is more expensive, but the real reason for the greater cost is that the 55-94 is made in Chicago and the 55-02 is currently made in Indonesia.

9. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    The 55-02 is 80% of the 55-94 for less than half the cost.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Unless you are into fancy tops and inlays, the 55-02 is more like 90% of a 55-94.

11. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    True. The only thing I liked more about the 55-94 was the better quality tops and better burst quality. I love my 55-02, but I just favor my DJ5 and Jazz basses, which is why my 5502 is for sale.