Lakland 55-02 or KSD v-70 Proto J as a backup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Sep 22, 2004.

55-02 or Proto J 5 (maple,natural)

Poll closed Sep 29, 2004.
  1. Lakland 55-02

19 vote(s)
  2. KSD ProtoJ 5

9 vote(s)
  1. I'm wanting to get a backup bass to my Cirrus...I've played both basses and really enjoyed each equally...just wondering in your opinion which one I should save to get?
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    These are two basses that I'm still considering. I would add one more to your list: The G&L Tribute L-2500. Quality-wise, it is the equal of the other two basses and it's cheaper. IF i had to choose between the 55-02 and a KSD, I'd take the 55-02 because there is something about that Lakland sound I really like. I have played a 55-94 several times and I think it is a great bass, even if I cannot accept a 3K pricetag for it. I still hate to vote against the KSD though, it is one heck of a J-bass.
  3. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've played both. They have a slightly different neck profile, with the KSD being chunkier. I am biased with this question. Let me tell you this, I used to own two (3 actually...2 5's and one 6) Cirri. One as my main and one as my backup, then I decide to try out a 55-02DLX because my teacher owned a 55-94. When I played his bass, I didn't see anything REALLY particularly great about it and I thought my Cirrus as a neck-thru bass was superior (faster) just as well constructed...etc as my teachers 55-94. However once I got my 55-02's (I have two now), I sold all three Cirrus. Eventually the narrow string spacing wouldn't satisfy my slap happy desires. And to be honest, I got use to playing fingerstyle witht he larger string spacing and neck width. To make a long story short, I think that the peavey Cirrus is a great bass. I loved it for so long as it nails the modern sound that I like having. It's playable and realtively inexpensive for what it is...Especially if you have a 6 string. I think what will compliment this bass is a bass that is extremely versatile. (i.e. something with a J and MM Combo). there is so much tonal versatility with the 55-02, that I don't think you can beat. It can nail a J sound pretty well. It can nail a Stingray sound pretty well (though not exactly). The best thing is that it has such a great unique sound when mixed between the two pickups. I love it. Just give yourself some time to figure out the EQ and pickup settings. Oh, not to mention that Dan Lakin has repaired or serviced my bass on more than one ocassion for free even though I bought both my 55-02's USED.

Go with the Lakland.
  4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I'd have to say , unless you HAVE to have a J bass, i would go with the Lakland. The pickups won't hum when soloed and the three band eq is more flexible than a 2 band, and the pickup configuration in itself is very versatile.. i recently picked up a beautiful used 55-94 and i am reminded again what a great gigging bass it is... always sounds great for the job. There is a price difference...
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I suggest that you might want to look for a USA made Peavey Millennium if you want Lakland. I am in the process of scoring the four string version and I know from personal experience that this bass really nails the Lakland sound and it has the same features as the USA Lakland like a graphite rod in the neck. That is feaure missing on the Skyline series. Five string versions of this bass are avaible also. The best part is that these basses are dirt cheap since they are discontinued. I am getting one for $524 and a local dealer is selling a five for $721. You have a Cirrus, so you know that Peavey is capable of seriously high quality instruments. The USA Millennium is essentially the bolt-on equivalent of a Cirrus. Get one now while they are still discontinued. Once Peavey brings them back this year, I'm sure the prices will be around $1,000-1,500. Check the forums, I recently started a thread about these basses and you can see a picture of one there. These are seriously a better deal cash wise than a Lakland and frankly, they may be better in absolute terms. If you want a backup bass, instead of a man instrument, it really makes sense to get the most for your money instead of paying for the name and reputation of a more famous model.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just came from checking out that USA Millennium five. It is a great bass with good overall tone and and nice B-string. I believe it is a 34" scale. I was able to A/B the bass with a Lakland 55-94. The Peavey is nice but the Lakland can quickly get a few tones with the coil splitting switch for its MM pickup that are not as quickly assessible on the Peavey. That said, it still get the Lakland style sound for less than a Skyline and way the heck less than a USA Lakland. Furthermore, the build quality of the Peavey is superior to the Skyline. I still think that it would be a great backup bass to a Cirrus.
  7. thanks for the reviews and tips!!! it'll still be a few months before I pick one up, but like with all my equipment I like starting my research before I have the money saved so I know what to get :)