Lakland 55-02 pot trim

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fernando Perez, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Fernando Perez

Fernando Perez

Feb 15, 2016
    Qot a question on the trim pot. I noticed that the bass output is too hot. I read that I can work with the trim pot to bring it down a little bit. Before messing with the pot I brought down the picks which they are all the way down right now (can’t lower then anymore). Strings height are set as recommended by lakland g side mm 7/64 , j 9/64 and the B side mm 10/64 and the j 11/64. Do any one ou there have any instructions on how to adjust this pot? I tried to do it and I couldn’t figure it out . It seems that it was getting hotter. Does the pot has a fixed range? Mine turned freely 360 degrees, so I don't know where the range begins and ends. Where will be the factory setting now ? Thanks for your help.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

I don't remember mine turning 360 degrees, it had a beginning and end.

But basically, if it gets louder when you turn it...turn it the opposite way.

3. Fernando Perez

Fernando Perez

Feb 15, 2016
    Thank you for your reply. I tried going the other way too and it seems that it got louder in other way too.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Juuuust to make sure, you're turning that little silver dealie that the arrow is pointing to, right? If so, I just don't know. It's definitely not supposed to work like you are describing.

lkkk.PNG

5. A trimpot should have stops like a full size potentiometer. If it's turning all the way around it probably needs to be replaced.

6. Fernando Perez

Fernando Perez

Feb 15, 2016
    Yes, that is what I’m turning around

7. Fernando Perez

Fernando Perez

Feb 15, 2016
    To replace that, will the entire board will need to be replaced?

8. You might be able to desolder the trimpot and solder in a new one. Looking at the picture above, it looks like surface mount (I think is the correct term) components which are small and the space is usually pretty tight to get into with an iron but it can be done. Alternatively, you might be able to clip the terminals coming out of the pot and solder the new terminals to those but it won’t be as secure as having the terminals mounted in the board.

I’m not great at dismounting from a board like that but, if it was mine, I’d probably find a schematic, get the value of that trimpot and give it a try before replacing the board.

If nothing else, get a meter and try and see if the resistance changes as you turn it. You should be able to do that with it in place.