1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 55-02 upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ejmy, Mar 3, 2013.

1. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    I just love my 55-02 from the day I bought it, but wish it would be a bit more aggressive sounding. It's the older model with the Barts. With time, all the pots have become scratchy so replacing the electronics is in order anyway. As a comparason, I prefer the sound of my MTD Z5. So I would appreciate some recommendations from knowledgeable people.

Is it possible that just upgrading the electronics without changing the pickups would make an appreciable difference ?
    If so, any suggestions ?

If not, any pickups suggestion that would fit without any additional routing ?
    TIA

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Hmmm...not sure where you would go from Barts. SGD neo's would maybe give you a slightly more aggressive sound.

3. I think the Bart's are the best combo in that bass. I've seen some folks go with Seymour Duncan with good results . The pickups themselves are more punchy and subdued on the top so that it where'd I'd start as the preamp should get ya what you want

4. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    Thanks for the input.

5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I put Nordstrands and an obp-3 in my 4-94. I wanted something a little less smooth than the Barts.

6. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    Interesting, I'll check them out, thanks