1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 55-02 vs. Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpectorBass308, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Okay Lakland owners, you've got some convincing to do. Lately Ive been hankerin for a Lakland 55-02. I own a sweet Musicman Stingray 5 that I have no intent to get rid of. But I think I want another 5 string and was wondering about the Lakland Skyline 55-02.

How does it compare to the Musicman? Is it worth getting? Hows the tone on those things?

I play mostly church music, low and groovy. Fire away.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This will give you the best idea of what a 55-02 can do except it doesn't feature the tone with all coils activated. Even though this is with the new Lakland pickups, the Barts were more or less in the same tone family. Only the Seymour Duncans equipped Laklands really sounded like Stingrays.

3. Wow, I could not tell the difference between the lakland and the j or P and it did a really good job of the stingray as well.

lowsound

4. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    They're sweet basses. You might want to play one before you buy it though. They use pretty small fretwire and some people don't like it.

5. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    I've owned both. What got me with the Lakland was the 35" scale length, which I was never able to hey used to. Also missed the full-on Stingray sound with the Lakland - because of the slightly different pickup positioning, the 55-02 can't QUITE get the MM sound down.