1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Lakland 55-60 New/Black/Maple - Nice Christmas Bass Deal!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Kevin Woods, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Price:
    $875
    Strings:
    -
    - $875 + Actual CONUS Shipping (no case, fanatic packing job!)
    -
    - Paypal

-
    - 2015 Lakland Skyline 55-60 5-String Bass Guitar
    -
    - Black Body
    - Maple/Maple 35-inch Scale Neck/Fingerboard (Flat-Sawn Rock Maple)
    - Stock "Vintage J" Single Coil Pickups
    - Passive VVT Electronics (no preamp)
    - Hipshot Lic. Ultralite Tuners
    - Stock Lakland Delrin Nut
    -
    - Plastic still on the pickguard!
    - Still has Virgin Fret-Sprout!
    -
    - I don't know the weight yet, but I would say somewhat north of medium weight

-
    -
    - No Gigs, No Practice, No Smoke, No Belt-buckle swirls, but two dings (...read on)
    -
    - === > In any case, please pardon the cell phone pics
    -

This is a minty, stock Lakland with two pre-purchase dings (see below for full disclosure). The bass looks spankin' from the front. But yes, I got a nice discount for the damage. I would like a quick sale before Christmas shipping madness sets in so I am taking off $200 what I paid. I believe new ones are $1275-$1300 at dealers. It has been sitting unloved for a few months now. There is no nefarious reason for the sale. My purchase equation simply included some wrong-headed life calculations. The intention was to have another bass to string up with flats for my Soul band gig, but alas, I need to let this go for now.

===> My main working jazz is another 55-60 sunburst/rosewood. One of my students is an "every d@mn" NAMM attending player with endorsements,etc, and he thinks my sunburst 55-60 is the best sounding Lakland he has ever heard. My first impressions are that this black 55-60 actually has an edge up in clarity...for realZ.

The bass plays beautifully! It has medium to medium low action with crispy sounding stock roundwounds on it now. I have come to truly appreciate the feel and sound of these Laklands. I consider them "working basses" in the best sense of the word. They "work" and they work d@mn well. They play and project with great authority. Enough said.

The Dings: Neither are on the front. One is on the back near the butt-edge (9mm x 5mm shaped like a football. It digs the wood a bit, but it's not a chip out). The other (no picture...it's trivial imo) is on the lower edge where the bass sits on your thigh. It almost looks like a rectangular finishing smudge (it might hit wood, ~10mm long).

I regretfully have been a TB deadbeat lately and haven't logged in too much, so give me a bit to get back to you. But I will definitely check in daily.

Questions and requests are welcome. Again, it is a stock Lakland configuration. Here is the Lakland website link for the 44/55-60s which will include some of the other metrics and build info.

Git 'er done boys!!

K
    Lakland%2055-60%20Full%20Front_zpsu8xqbyem.
    Lakland%2055-60%20Body_zps16kmkhiv.
    Lakland%2055-60%20Fingerboard_zps9qkokbqn.
    Lakland%2055-60%20Neck%20Grain_zpsyo3w22az.

Lakland%2055-60%20Headstock%20Front_zpsjc3sncvw.
    Lakland%2055-60%20Headstock%20Rear_zpswej2jce9.
    Lakland%2055-60%20Ding_zpsgdo0djy7.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  2. tom grossheider

tom grossheider

Oct 14, 2004
    ILLINOISE
    Interested in trades + cash? (Lakland Skyline JO4 with TKL hard case) Local.

3. Thanks, Tom. I'd love to own a JO4, but need the cash right now. I do appreciate the offer, though.

Prospective buyers: She only has the original factory setup, so you might want to have a more customized setup done; a bone nut, etc. The buyer will be very happy with this bass even if it's taken straight to the gig. Also, notice how the A-string perfectly bisects the fingerboard dots. It's a nice touch. Plenty of basses have crooked alignment that way!

4. Looks like I was a bit slow on the uptake to catch the Christmas shoppers.

Just did my Soul Band gig the other night with my other 55-60. It is hard to convey the satisfaction that you feel when this bass starts to soften in your hands. The speaking voice of these extended-range Lakland jazz basses is a great thing to have in your stable.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Nice!

6. I have the same bass in tobacco burst. Blows me away this thing hasn't sold yet, basically new 5560 at new 55-01 pricing...

7. Please forgive the resurrection of my "Christmas Lakland" thread. My timing was off for the original sale.

I definitely intend to sell this bass, so please pull the trigger if you like what you see. But just so you know, I will probably re-write the listing soon. Hopefully, though, people's cash is flowing a bit better now and it sells before then.

I have been hammering/gigging on my Sunburst Lakland 55-60 for quite some time now. These are fantastic instruments. Your efforts will be well rewarded should you decide to make the Lakland jump.

8. Interested.

9. As requested, here are a few ding pics from my DSLR cam. There are two of the rear ding which, as noted above, probably dig into the wood a bit. The other ding, on the side that sits on your thigh, comes off more like a finish smudge.
    Here is the rear ding:
    Lakland%20Ding%20Pics%20Rear_zps0wtcdlla.
    Lakland%20Ding%20Pics-%20Rear%20Close_zps9xnqg8pj.
    This is the side ding:
    Lakland%20Ding%20Pics%20Side_zpsvs6t7vpq.

10. hardtop

hardtop Supporting Member

Is this bass still for sale?

11. Yes, bass is still for sale.

12. Is this bass still for sale?

13. Yes, it IS still available. I was a little bummed out with the luke warm response, so it has just been sitting there.

I intended to reshoot the pics and then start a new thread, but got busy with everything else in life.

I'll take the price down to $800 + actual shipping.

14. I am interested in the bass. I was looking around for such a bass and stumbled across your add last night. Do you have it up on reverb or anything like that?

15. No, it's just here. I'm too far along in years to know what Reverb is :)

Go ahead and pm me and let me know what you need to pull the trigger.

16. Well I am going to have to wait until Thursday or Friday to get paid to have the funds to purchase. As soon as I have that I will PM you for details. Thank you.

17. Ok, no worries. I will put a hold on the bass until this weekend for you. Thanks.

18. Ok. Thank you sir.

19. Modio333

Modio333

Mar 5, 2014
    Pm Sent

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I wish I still had my 55-60. I made mine active with Nordstrand pickups and an Audere preamp. Was 9lbs even. Probably the best 5string I ever owned.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017