1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland 55-63 ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Sep 28, 2003.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Is anyone using one of these? I heard through the grapevine that I'm supposed to be checking one out, but I can't seem to find any info on it.

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I had one of these. It was a beautiful bass and I was very happy with it until I got my Sadowsky Vintage 5. Then it was all over.

Don't get me wrong, the 55-63 is a very fine bass.

There are several others around here that have had these.

3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a 55-63 that was built for Willie Weeks. It has a highly figured birdseye maple fingerboard, a transluscent blue finish over a quilt top, Duncan single coils, Lakland Bartolini preamp and an added passive tone control.

My bass has been owned by several other players and I don't understand why they let it go. I understand that Willie Weeks plays 4 string basses and perhaps he did not care for the 5 string configuration. This is one fine bass. It is not going anywhere now!

The 55-63 is a discontinued model.

Chuck

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Any pics? I'm not sure if I know which bass you cats are talking about...

5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Its the lakies with the dual j's

nino has a pic

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This one was mine. It was so pretty I was scared to death of getting a scratch on it.

[​IMG]

7. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Willie's bass did have the J pups. But look at this old pic off the Lakland website in the scrapbook section.
    Doesn't that front pup that Willie's forearm is covering look like it could be a P pup? Real interesting.

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    That is not the 55-63 that I own. Mine is a deluxe with a clear transluscent blue finish over a quilt top and my bass has 6 control knobs.

Chuck

9. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Yea Chuck. I know. That's not the one you have. The picture looks like a metallic light blue or something similar. But that front pup looks like it might be a P-bass pup. Maybe it was another configuration they were experimenting with at that time.