Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-63 ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Sep 28, 2003.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Is anyone using one of these? I heard through the grapevine that I'm supposed to be checking one out, but I can't seem to find any info on it.

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I had one of these. It was a beautiful bass and I was very happy with it until I got my Sadowsky Vintage 5. Then it was all over.

Don't get me wrong, the 55-63 is a very fine bass.

There are several others around here that have had these.

3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a 55-63 that was built for Willie Weeks. It has a highly figured birdseye maple fingerboard, a transluscent blue finish over a quilt top, Duncan single coils, Lakland Bartolini preamp and an added passive tone control.

My bass has been owned by several other players and I don't understand why they let it go. I understand that Willie Weeks plays 4 string basses and perhaps he did not care for the 5 string configuration. This is one fine bass. It is not going anywhere now!

The 55-63 is a discontinued model.

Chuck

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Any pics? I'm not sure if I know which bass you cats are talking about...

5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Its the lakies with the dual j's

nino has a pic

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This one was mine. It was so pretty I was scared to death of getting a scratch on it.

[​IMG]

7. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Willie's bass did have the J pups. But look at this old pic off the Lakland website in the scrapbook section.
    Doesn't that front pup that Willie's forearm is covering look like it could be a P pup? Real interesting.

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    That is not the 55-63 that I own. Mine is a deluxe with a clear transluscent blue finish over a quilt top and my bass has 6 control knobs.

Chuck

9. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Yea Chuck. I know. That's not the one you have. The picture looks like a metallic light blue or something similar. But that front pup looks like it might be a P-bass pup. Maybe it was another configuration they were experimenting with at that time.