1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Lakland 55-94 (1999) vs Fender Custom Shop Jazz bass (2013)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnpaulbass, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Lakland 55-94

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Fender Jazz Bass Custom shop

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Endorsing Artist: Gr Bass, Pyramid Strings, MPE Audio
    Hello,

a liitle pool here. First of all let me say that I know those basses are complete different worlds.
    I am fortunate enough to own a P bass Pino Palladino and a Sadowsky Rv5 metro so frankly I'm quite covered and what concerns "vintage tones" and "jazz bass tones". So letting a "Fender go" would be covered by the Sadowsky in some way.
    I own a (at least in my eyes) wonderful Jazz Bass black from 2013 made by the Custom shop but lately the projects that are coming in are requiring more of a "modern growl" and Lakland 55-94 is what comes to mind (at least for me) first in this price range.
    So I was thinking of a trade and found a wonderful 1999 Lakland 55-94 rosewood neck in Europe (where I live). Spoke to the guy, echanged the pics and specs and the bass looks absolutely wonderful.
    We've agreed to try them and if we like them we'll exchange it on pair (so no money involved either side).
    Asking that. Would do you guys think ? Let me know in the pool and in the comments. Thank you

2. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    If you love your Jazz, keep it.
    Can't you get that modern growl with the Sadowsky?

3. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Hello Midak.. sure the Sadowsky has a great low B but (at least in my ears) a Bartolini Humbucker is more "modern sounding"... that's why I'm tempted.

4. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    It may, but I think that you will be able to get close sound-wise through the rest of your gear.
    Since you have already arranged it, try the Lakland - I bet it will be a magnificent instrument, with its own voice and purpose.

If you decide to trade your Fender, be sure that you want miss it more than you will welcome the Lakland.
    I do own a CS '64 Jazz and I know how nice they are; if you think it to be special, keep it. :)

johnpaulbass likes this.
  5. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    One thing to consider, and I say this as a former owner of a 55-02, and current owner of several Fender and Lakland jazz basses, try an MXR M81 preamp with your jazz basses. It gives you 98% of the abiilty of the 55-02/94. Its a very versatile pre. You can get everything from Lakland pre sounds to Sadowsky.

6. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Had the MXR 80 d.i.but end up selling it.

Do the differ a lot? ...

7. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Never tried the M80, but the M81 gives my passives a Sadowsky like tone. Its got great hifi transparency.

johnpaulbass likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021