Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-94 Delux-5 vs Alembic Epic-5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr.PLOT, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Mr.PLOT

Mr.PLOT

Feb 22, 2006
    Need to 5-string bass!!!
    Lakland 55-94 Delux-5 vs Alembic Epic-5

My BASS- Warwick Streamer St-2 4-string 1990/bartolini pickups............

2. Mr.PLOT

Mr.PLOT

Feb 22, 2006
    Please! Please! Please!

3. ghizmo

ghizmo

Feb 21, 2006
    dfepend to your level....
    try consider some cheap if you are a beginner like low price ibanez or yamaha

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Welcome to TalkBass, Mr. Plot.

You don't need to bump your thread 15 minutes after you posted it. People don't camp out waiting for questions. Sometimes you'll have to be a little patient.

Also, choosing a more descriptive title than "Pleaz Help!!!" will make people more likely to want to read your thread. I've gone ahead and fixed that for you.

To avoid other noob mistakes, please click here.

To answer your question, It really depends on what you like. The Alembic is neck through while the Lakland is a Bolt on. Also, the scales are different. I'd go with the Lakland myself.

5. +1 to the above post... those basses are so different that it should be a very easy choice once you play them.

I greatly prefer the Lakland (especially with the new Lakland pickups and preamp... which I'm sure are a great improvement over the original Bart pu's and circuit). I believe you will find the playability and build quality much better on the Lakland... especially in the area of fretwork. The Lakland will be much more versatile... lot's more sounds given the pickup switching options... and the Lakland pre has many more options. Also, the Lakland 55-94 are very light and comfortable. Finally, the string spacing on the Lakland is much wider than the Alembic... I greatly prefer the wider spacing (I believe its .18 at the bridge).

However.... nothing sounds like an Alembic except an Alembic... if you like that sound... well.... there you go.

6. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    I'll provide one vote to the contrary! I for one have owned an Alembic Epic 5 string fretted for about 10 years now, and there isn't a thing I don't like about it. Comfortable, amazing and versatile tone, and more low end than any bass I've played. I've never had anything but compliments of my tone. It does, however, depend on what you're looking for. I play jazz and worship music at my church primarily. I also tend to prefer the string spacing to be a bit tighter, as I'm not much of a slap player. That, and the Laklands just don't fit me. It is not nearly as comfortable to me as my Alembic. Just my 2 cents...

7. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    Either one would be a good choice; my vote would go to the Alembic (the Epic is a set-neck, not a neck-thru model,BTW).
    Alembic build quality is unsurpassed, and certainly doesn't take a second seat to Lakland. Actually, you should buy both :)