1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland 55-94 (domestic) neck replacement for 55-02 (import)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigKD, Aug 20, 2017.

1. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Does anybody know if this can be done?

They're bolt on necks with the same design. Just wondering if the hole pattern is the same...

2. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Anybody? I'll give Lakland a call tomorrow and report back...

3. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Banned

Aug 18, 2017
    I understand that there may be small discrepancies in the sizes of Skyline necks that may not make all of them universally exchangeable on US bodies.

The weird thing about this post is that literally one half of the posters on this board claimed to be Lakland endorsees a few years ago. Now, there's none to be had.

4. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Hmmm. I'm sure a lot of people are still playing them. They're great basses.

I'm looking to put a domestic neck on a Skyline, not the other way around. The big difference between the domestics and Skyline is the neck, and a skyline + domestic neck is way less expensive than a 55-94!

5. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Banned

Aug 18, 2017
    People still play Lakland, but guys here seem to lie about being an endorsed artist or don't understand what it really entails.

Anyway, since Skylines may have different measurements depending on what production run/year they were made, it's always going to be a crapshoot if Skyline parts will marry up with domestic (or vice-versa) without modification or surgery. I've seen this done over the years, but it wasn't with the help or sanction of Lakland.

6. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    True. This is a brand new Skyline btw, lol. So, if the new skylines match the dimensions of the new necks coming out for the 55-94, maybe I'm in luck?

7. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Banned

Aug 18, 2017
    I'd imagine. The only way to know is to actually try and mate them up. Uniformity and precision execution hasn't always been Lakland's strong suit in the past so there's not much of a standard to go by.

8. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Oh damn. I figured that everything was cut with CNC and pretty much the same, but I have been wrong before :)

9. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Banned

Aug 18, 2017
    I'd lean toward the US series being CNC from one program and interchangeable. I've seen neck swaps between like US models go off without a hitch. However, as mentioned, the Skylines don't share the same universal dimensions so the only way to know for sure is to try, regardless if you're mating domestic with import or even import with import.

10. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Interesting. I'm assuming the imports are all CNC as well, but I guess a small difference in tool path/tip could cause issues. I'll call Lakland tomorrow and see what they think. My guess is the body will have to go to their shop to get fitted with a neck if I decide to go down this route. Will they even sell a 55-94 neck to a guy with a skyline? I sure hope so...

11. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Banned

Aug 18, 2017
    Probably not. Companies are very careful about parting out their products due to counterfeit and to basically dissuade people from doing what you're proposing to do here with their import lines. They will sell a US neck, but you generally have to surrender a US neck from the existing bass you are looking to replace the neck on, usually due to wear and tear or damage.

12. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    I've seen US necks in the classifieds, though. From people who had apparently bought a different neck for their 55-94. SOLD - USA Lakland Maple/RW Neck, Like New

13. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Banned

Aug 18, 2017
    Those are being sold by individual sellers, not Lakland. Once a buyer gets the bass, he can do whatever he wants with it, including part it out. There's a Sadowsky neck on Reverb now, and you can rest assured it's not being sold by Sadowsky.

14. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    I was referring to the claim that you made regarding having to surrender the original neck to lakland...

15. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Banned

Aug 18, 2017
    Lots of stories in the naked city about how necks get out in the wild by themselves, especially with Lakland. All you can do is ask and try. Good luck!

16. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Lol. I'll definitely report back tomorrow.

17. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I'm Following this thread, so I count on you! ;)

Are you sure of this? I think you can buy Sadowsky bodies and necks directly from Roger. But I might be wrong.

18. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Banned

Aug 18, 2017
    Absolutely sure. He's been my luthier since 1989. He's not going to offer Sadowsky necks and bodies because because people could just buy them, slap a bass together cheap without his workmanship, and sell it as a Sadowsky. This is only common business sense.

Ant Illington and baxter_x like this.
  19. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I totally get it that but I thought I saw someone on the board who had ordered a Sadowsky body. But I'm probably mistaking.

20. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    Is there anything on the body to distinguish that it's a Skyline bass?