Lakland 55-94 fretless questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Dec 29, 2000.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a couple of questions about the tones this bass has to offer.

You guys who own one with an ebony board and the stock electronics give me some info. :)

First, can it get the Pino Palladino fretless Stingray sound?

Second, with the bridge coil only on, how close does it get to the classic Jaco Jazz soloed bridge pickup tone?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Anybody? Lakland owners?
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't know. I don't own a 55-94 fretless:D
  4. ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I used to own a Lakland 5 fretted. I'm not a Lakland fan but I'm not going to bash. One of the things I didn't like about the Lakland was that it didn't have a very good midrange. Even when I tried to add it either through my amp or the bass's eq I couldn't get it to my liking. It was hard to cut through. The fretless Lak's I've tried sounded like my fretted did, no mids. For the tone I go for I have to have a nicely voiced mid range. On the virge of being honky but not. On the subject of buying used: I think this is the most effective way to buy an instrument if you view it as a possible investment. Generally, fair market value of an instrument unless it's collectable is half of retail. If you buy a bass that retails for $2000 for a $1000 the value of that bass does not go down just because you're the second owner. Quite often the value goes up. When the company raises their price from $2000 to $2400 your used bass is now worth $1200 provided you find someone to pay you that. It's very unlikely that I will ever buy a new instrument again unless it's something my store carries and I get it for half of list anyway,(like the 6-string F Bass I just bought!!!)
  5. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    I have not had any trouble getting my Lakland fretted and fretless basses to sound any way that I desire them to sound. I basically run all tone controls flat (center detent) and tweek during a song to achieve what I'm looking for. I haven't checked lately but I know the midrange dip switch in the fretted bass is not at the original setting. I can tell you that it sounds different using the same amp/preamp through my old Golliath II vs the EA VL210's I am currently using. The Golliath had that "midrange missing" sound while the EA's have a very "in your face" midrange.

The sound of a particular bass is a subjective thing based the likes/dislikes of the person hearing/playing it. I guess, embellisher, what I'm getting at is that my Laklands have "my" sound. What I look more for in a bass is; does it have the balance/weight that will not make it a chore to play, does the neck have a shape/feel that allows me to play to the best of my abilities, and is the workmanship there that says I can play this bass with confidence that it is always going to perform to my expectations. My Laklands have done this for me above and beyond what I've experienced with previous basses I've owned.
  6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Awww... and I wanted to be Alain Caron when I grew up -- and now you're gonna beat me to it!

7. Badenough

Dec 30, 2000
    Oslo Norway
    This is quite contrary to my experience. I have used a Lakland De luxe 5 string with Barts for almost a year now. It turns out to be the bass I use 85 % of the time . I am able to dial in a midrange that fits into the mix for all different styles I play. (I too like a midrange sound) I am a free lance and do most styles plus some cabaret work. It is also very good for studio use. Live it works with different set-ups: Aguilar, Alembic FX1 and SF2 as well as my SWR Read Head.
    As for price, yes it is expensive but taking into consideration that this price includes a very high level of professional support given by the Lakland people, well worth the money for me.