1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 55-94 Made in USA Vs Fender Jazz Bass 60s Custom Shop Stacked Knobs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnpaulbass, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Lakland 55-94 Made in USA

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. Fender Jazz Bass 60s Custom Shop Made in USA

23 vote(s)
    52.3%
  1. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Endorsing Artist: Gr Bass, Pyramid Strings, MPE Audio
    Dear all,

I'm considering moving away from my beloved Fender Jazz Bass 60s Custom shop.
    It's a great bass, black, rosewood board, stacked knobs. Sounds awsome.

But, considering that I'm changing my bass upon my needs and I'm now moving away from a "retro" "vintage" project I was involved in for the last 2,5 years I'm looking for something else. Now I'm involved in an "all around" cover band (from evergreens to Top 40 songs etc etc...) and as I'm looking on youtube the Lakland can cover pretty much everything. Said so, I do also own a Sadowsky RV5 Metro (rosewood borad) with whom I can basically reach the sound of this custom shop. NOT THE "FEEL"!

So... there's a guy with whom I'm talking and he owns this great Lakland 55-94 made in USA (it's a 2002 model, Bartolini pickups) with maple board and I'm tempted. As I was saying before I do change my basses quite often (year/2 basis) so the "resale" value it's also important to me. The Fenders do always have a market, the Laklands (expecially the high end models) well.. do not "resale" quite well. I live in Europe.

So, here's the thing. I'm opening the pool to see what do you guys think..

Thanks in advance for your answers

2. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    :)

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    for me to answer your poll i would need to have played both models. i do have a FCS pbass and love it immensely! i have an AV62RI w/stacked knobs that feels like heaven. the CS jbasses i've played have mostly been amazing, but people love their Laklands, as well.
    sell the Sadowsky

4. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Is selling the Sadowsky and buying the Lakland an option? Selling a bass you love and keeping the one you don't like as much isn't a good plan.

The Lakland is a really great bass an you'll probably love it, but I wouldn't part with one of your other basses until you've had a chance to try one out in-person.

pacojas, Tbone76 and GregC like this.
  5. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Maybe get a Sadowsky preamp pedal for the Jazz? Get a modern sound and keep an incredible bass.

Fit4pain, PeaveyPlayer and Fred312b like this.
  6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I agree with this.

If need be get a d-tuner. Don't get rid of a bass you love - regret is a b!tch to live with.

Fit4pain and TMARK like this.
  7. JPMcGuire

JPMcGuire Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    I run a noble preamp with my original 62 jazz. The tone is amazing and covers anything from jazz, rock, pop you name it.

pacojas, ExaltBass and TMARK like this.
  8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I voted for the 55-94.

I have a CS early 60's stack-pot Jazz. It's the best passive 4-string I have ever had. I've used a lot of different preamp pedals with it, too. Great bass for a lot of styles. However, the 55-94 is a very different instrument. It's a five string with a 35" scale and very versatile set of pickups. It can do Jazz-like slap and finger-style tones, but also MusicMan like super growl, sparkle, and giant low end.

If you plug a 55-94 into a flat clean pre-amp, you can run all your EQ right off the instrument—with a wider timbre palette than a passive Jazz and the advantages of a 5-string.

Esoge, ldryder, Bass. and 1 other person like this.
  9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm not sure I agree with any of your conclusions. I think all the basses you've mentioned will sound equally great in any style of music.

I don't know what to make of your resale policy. Except that it's weird!

10. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I agree with Dr. Jim. The Lakland 55-94 is a very versatile instrument that will meet many of your needs.

11. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm not a -94/-02 model player, but from what I've heard and read over time, the LH-3 pickup/preamp system (which Lakland switched to in the 2005-06 time frame) is generally regarded to be (even) more versatile than the Bart-loaded models.

12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    be ready for 35" scale and a whole TON of cool tone.

13. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I vote keep the jazz, sell the Sadow, and get the lakland. You can't beet a CS jazz and Lakland set up. That will meet every need (well except a P tone)

pacojas likes this.
  14. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    Lakland all day. The necks are different... I prefer the Lakland neck.... over any Fender I have played.

Phillip B and SanDiegoHarry like this.
  15. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I love Fenders, but Lakland is in another league...the B-String on Laklands is incredible...

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    That's the big difference to me. Their necks are great.

Phillip B likes this.
  17. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    If you love your CS '60s, keep it and decide on Lakland vs Sadowsky. You will have both the vintage touch of the CS and the modern options of an active 5er.

18. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    HellO!

thank you all for your kind replies.

Some other options are jumping these days and the other guy is so nice that he's coming to my place to day and we can try our basses to see if they're cool for each other.

It's a tough decision really.

19. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    I choose to remain on the Custom Shop.

There are really 2 completely different worlds. But I must say I was stunned with the Lakland.

Such a great bass.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021