Lakland 55-94 or Zon Sonus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sethlow3, May 27, 2004.

1. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I think the title says it all. I am looking into a Lakland trade for my Zon Sonus, but really need some input on gigability and studio sound of both basses AB'd......
  2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I havnt had Much experiance with Zon, but the Lakland is an amazing bass...

I would go for the Zon, I liked the Neck much more than my old Lakland.
  3. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I should probably add that I'd like something likened to a p bass or moduls neck profile. I also think I prefer 3/4 spacing which is the main reason I have considered this trade in the 1st place.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have both, and prefer the 55-94 for its versatility. The Zon has more growl, if that's what you like.
  5. BassDemon

May 18, 2004
    A P Bass or Modulus neck profile - those are at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

The Modulus neck shape is thin with a D profile.

The P bass hass a bassball bat with tuners on it
  6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA

I don't like the sound of the Zon basses too much, it's too new. I like the vintage Stingray and vintage Jazz bass sound. You can get both of those out of a Lakland fairly well.
  7. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    If you're into wide spacing, get a Sonus 519. I love Zons and personally don't even think anything else is worth playing any more. :D But seriously, both are good basses.

8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    The comment Mud Flaps made above is a good one - if you like the modern tone keep the Zon, but if you're after a more "vintage thump" tone then the trade would likely be a good one. Everybody on the thread, remember he already has the Zon and is offered a Lakland in trade.
  9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have a Sonus Custom 5 and yesterday I was hangin out and played a Lakland that just had come in and for me the Zon wins hands down. I've never really liked any Lakland I've played but they are well built instruments with a ton of people playing them. Someone mentioned a modern tone with the Zons and they are correct about that. It all comes down to what you want to hear when you play. Good luck!
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you like the neck on your Zon? The Lakland neck will be a little wider, and have quite a bit thicker profile.

Which pickups does your Sonus have? I have the Sonus Custom(2 Bart soapbars) with the optional piezo bridge, and it is a lot more versatile than a 55-94. It gets all of the tones that the 55-94 does, plus a lot more. If you have the inline pickups, the Lakland will probably be a little more versatile.