Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-94 owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkastorious, Apr 19, 2001.

1. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    I posted over at the %&# as well, but wanted the TB stuff.

Where are all those 55-94 owners? That was THE hot bass of last year.

So, where are you at right now? Give us the dirt!

Still like it? Problems? fret where? neck true? Finish? Customer Serv?

Barts or Duncan? Which board did ya get? What finish?

Play any Limp Bizkit songs with it? (just kidding)

Just curious
    funk

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have these two. I have no complaints with either of them. They are "my sound." The necks play themselves, and each has a very wide range of available tones. Don't worry ... there are plenty of folks (pros) who still play 'em. While Sadowsky gets plenty of kudos for their sound, bring yours over and we'll compare sounds.
    [​IMG]

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Laklands are the only electric basses I own or want now (which for me, is saying a LOT). I love my 55-94 (cherryburst w/rosewood board, Barts) but I've been using my passive 55-63 (passive Basslines J's, maple, tranlucent blonde) much more often lately. It just works well with my 3-piece blues/rock band. In my opinion, this company has it all together. Their customer service is great, they have a good solid product. Been 100% dependable for me.

4. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Munji-

Nice looking basses! Why do ya put em on those cheap stands? :D

Ole Brad mentioned somewhere else they aren't exactly his favorite slapping axe. Thoughts?

5. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I love my limited edition dlx 55. It is light, versatile, beautiful, with the best neck I have ever played. Plus, it stays in tune better than my now gone maple board did, with way better bottom to boot. Yeah, I'm a bonafide member of Club Roscoe, but my Lakland does not take a back seat to anything I have ever played, I take it to every gig, and have never had a problem with it. I don't slap, so no opinion about that.

//albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1465693&a=11022591&p=38343960

6. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Nice finish!

I was 99.9& complete with a 55-94 order last year about this time. The show stopper?

I wanted a Trans White over Quilt.

Dan (and Roger) both refused to do it. It might ge totally ugly, but I've never seen one and figure it would look pretty cool.

Now that I have a need for a 5 again (my Am Del 5 is strung EADGC), I'm looking around and will probably settle on a Trans White over Ask with maple and Barts....

7. I have a couple Lakland 55-94s: one fretted and one fretless. I also consider them to be 'my sound.' I've never played a bass that was more comfortable and the range of killer tones is aswsome.

As far as slapping. I normally run my eq on the bass pretty much flat. If I'm doing any slapping I'll add a little treble and bass and I get a killer slap sound. It reminds me a little of Victor Wooten's sound (my fretboard is rosewood). I've also done some slapping on the fretless. It's not your traditional slap sound, but if you add some slides into the mix, you can create some real nice grooves. One of the reasons I like the Laklands so much is the slap tone. I was actually playing in a funk band at the time when I first got my Lakland fretted and one of the reasons I was looking for a new bass was because I wasn't getting the slap sound I was looking for. String spacing on my other five strings was also a problem...not with the Lakland.

8. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    funkastorius, why did they refuse to do it?

My satin finish is a custom. I talked to Lakland and they said it was originally amber, and that they had experimented unsuccessfully with satin finishes. I bought the bass with this finish, and it does have some light finish cracking, but I do love the feel, no sticking to this bass. :)

9. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Thump-

I'll have to check into the satin.... Looking at your bass, it's along the lines of the "look" I was hoping for, but in kinda a "off-white" fashion. Would you consider that photo accurate of the finish? It looks off-white and the quilt bring out a bit of a tan stripe....

I like the Amber over quilt, but I've seen 5 different shades of Amber and prefer the lighter tone ones....and that's how I got started on my "Trans White" kick. But, if that Satin is true to the photo, it might be a winner. You must have got it from BassNW, eh? (see those bag end cabs in back)

Why Dan didn't do it? Well, that's a good question. This was last summer and he was swamped and I was looking at 3 months for the bass I wanted. This isn't a knock on Dan....actually quite the opposite beause he plans the manufacturing so well. I claimed I wanted a "cloud" type of effect with Trans White over Quilt. He claimed it wouldn't bring out the proper grains in the wood and he didn't want to put his name on the top of a "bad looking" bass. (insert your own opinion here). So, I kinda let things die because the project I needed a 5 string for disappeared (and I bought a Am Del 5....ended up stringing it EADGC).

But, I have another need for a 5 now, so I'm revisiting the whole deal again.

GAS is much better than going through the whole process of building a bass. I'm impatient by nature, but enjoy spending money for a quality instrument. Both basses I bought recently (in the last 6 months) are for sale. Basses I've had for over 6 months, I'll keep them forever. So, if I had 3 months onto the build time, I'm hoping that increases my chances to keep it around.

:D

10. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    funk - the photo (yes BNW) is fairly representative. The bass is like a chameleon, in that it never looks the same twice (depending upon lighting). My best description would be natural wood color (which you referred to as tan, actually it's more golden) with a pearl color where the maple fisheyes are. You can walk by the bass and different quilts pick up the light while others fade (I hope this isn't too confusing). BTW, this bass will never be for sale, so don't ask ;)

I was looking for a natural finish (have you considered one) quilted dlx 55 when I stumbled on mine at BNW's site; however I'm glad I found the satin, it feels silky to the touch.

One other general comment, I was very disappointed in the sound my maple board dlx 55 had, probably great for slapping, but feeble for rockNroll. However, I'm still not convinced it wasn't a feeble preamp since the output seemed a little weak too.

Gotcha' with the impatient G.A.S. syndrome, I have it too.

11. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Yes, I still think my Lakland is great. It excells in playablity and customer service is very good. But I definitely agree that the my Dlx 55-94 with barts and maple neck doesn't have the balls that my Zon fretless has. IMHO would recommend the classic over the deluxe for sound. I never tried the Duncans.

12. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Really????

Alder instead of Ash w/maple?

Any reason?

I'm assuming you like a little heavier axe with a midrange boost......

13. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    OK, since we're posting photos....

Funk, if you want an idea of an off-white over ash, here's one to look at. This isn't supposed to be a regular production color, but I imagine you could get it or a variation of it.

[​IMG]

14. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Man, you guys are making this confusing....

Just kidding.

Off-white? Are you sure....isn't that natural?

Also, what's up with the double Js on the maple neck? Didn't you like the humbucker? Which one did you have first?

Why?

15. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    No, it's a creme-color blonde translucent finish. The photo is a pretty accurate representation. Supposedly was made for Willie Weeks and he sent it back for some reason. It's all passive, with the 2 Basslines J's, as you can tell. I bought it because I prefer passive basses for rock gigs but I play only 5 string. Nobody makes a good passive 5, so when I ran across this, I jumped on it. That thing is awesome...it snarls, it growls, great resonance and response. Really reaches up out of the mix and says "Hey, I'm HERE, MF!". Of course, it's got limited tonal capability compared to the active setup, but I wanted simple. I don't know why more players don't want this setup.

I owned the Deluxe 55-94 first and liked it a lot...still do..but it's just much more fat and warm. I'd use it on a blues, jazz, or country gig. Anything that didn't need a real aggressive tone.

16. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

I bought my 55-94 Deluxe almost 2 years ago. I still LOVE THIS BASS! :D It's ash with a maple board and Barts.

I slap a fair amount, and this bass does it beautifully. Someone else mentioned they felt the slap tone was great, but that the rock tone was weak. Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. :) I get a great tone no matter what style I'm playing, and I always seem to be able to find the right sound for what I'm doing.

The bass is just so responsive when I hold or play it, it almost seems like it's "alive". For me, this was a great purchase.

-Red

17. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    funk,jazz,R&B,rock you name it and my 55-94 cherry sunburst flame thru top for EXTRA booty,and rosewood neck for extra snap with barts does the trick for me.the neck play's itself,versatility up the wazoo.and a slap tone to die for.and Dan is cool as Joe.hey red she is alive and kicking ain't she.damn I love my lakland.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Mine slaps great...it's all relative...like me not being able to hook up with (an unmarried) Catherine Zeta Jones and having to "settle" for Beyonce' from Destiny's Child. Oh yeah, that would be rough. Hmmm...

Okay, I'm back from my happy place...where was I?

What I was saying was, my Limited is great all-around. The new kid on the block, my Clover, is different and it's ridiculously nice for slap with a true killer B.

I flip flop on whether to keep my 55-94 only because I'm not using it as much anymore...it's not the bass, it's me:D

If I had to have only one bass, this could definitely be a keeper.

19. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    that's me right there.mighty fine looking bass there sir.

20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Laklands are HAPPENING!!!
    when my old boss wanted a more traditional look ( i was playing an MTD 635 at the time) i turned to Lakland.
    They deliver !!! I could get a Marcus like tone, a Musicman tone and a pretty cool J like tone. i had the maple board and had no complaints. I'm sorry I sold mine. I'm all MTD now. Dan lakin isa great guy. He won't do the trans white on quilt ( I tried, too) because he says it looks awful. Roger Sadowsky won't do it? Guess what?,,, Mike Tobias won't either ! maybe there's a reason --- i left the idea alone. they know their stuff.