Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-94 p/up question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MikeBass, Oct 20, 2005.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    This is a question for a friend who is not so internet/TB savy!!! (and I'm curious now too!)
    Dig:
    55-94 with Basslines J/MM dropped in to replace the stock Barts.

First, the coil selector 3 way mini switch- forward (towards neck) is front coil of MM p/up, middle is both coils, and rear (towards bridge) is rear coil of MM p/up.
    Is this correct?? (meaning the coil switching arrangement)

Second, when in the middle position (full MM), are the coils series or parallel?

AND!!!!! Can a second mini switch (or push/pull pot) be wired to switch between series and parallel ala' Sterling & MM5.

AND/OR a THIRD( :eek: ) switch to go between series/parallel when in single coil mode on the MM p/up with the J pick-up??

Man, I have a headache just thinking about all this!!
    But, imagine the options....WHEW!!!!

2. The middle position is parallel. Lakland sent me a diagram to rewire it to be: parallel, bridge half, and series. I really love the series position and when I asked Dan at Lakland why they didn't do it that way he said that it would make the series position louder than the other combinations. It was worth it to me to be able to have that sound.

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Damn!! You guys are quick as hell sometimes!!

I guess dropping a cap on the output of series mode to tame the volume difference messed with the tone too much for them.

Thanks a bunch!