1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 55-94 Pickup Options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassin', Mar 22, 2006.

1. Bartolinis

34 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. Basslines

12 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Laklands

12 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. I've been playing on a couple 55-94 basses (fretted and fretless) for sometime and, although I love the basses overall, I've been struggling a bit with the "tameness" of the Bartolini pickups. I've been playing most recently in a straight up rock band and a heavy metal band and I find in both situations that the bass gets lost in the mix and doesn't have enough punch. I've also played in bands in the past that vary quite a bit: funk, world beat, r&b, alternative, etc., where the bass works fine in some situations but not others.

Anyway, I've been seriously considering changing out the pickups to Basslines which, from the information I've been able to gather, have the aggressive tone I'm looking for but, to complicate the issue further, Lakland just came out with their own line of pickups. From what I've read they seem to be somewhere in between the Bartolinis and Basslines as far as tone. I'm still leaning towards the Basslines pickups but was hoping for any feedback and experiences the rest of you might have had with these options.

2. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    hi bassin`

oh, i know exactly what you mean. it took me a few months to come to the conclusion that i am not very happy with the bartolini pickups in my 55-94 dlx for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

i have changed to basslines now and am very happy with the result. the sound goes a lot more in direction stingray with the humbucker on the one hand; the neck-pu on the other hands sounds very much like a precision. it cuts through much better, the sound has more attack and sounds more aggressive (in a positiv way).

i have also changed the wiring a little. since i never used the neck-coil of the humbucker in single-mode i wired the humbucker parallel, bridge-coil single and series. that is the same wiring as in the stingray5. the series-mode is very good for heard-rock.

i highly recommend the basslines if you are into rockmusic.

unfortunatly i do not know the lakland-pu´s. i really love all their products but i doubt they invented the wheel knew.

regards,

sandmann

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Over the years I have played my share of Bartolini and Basslines equipped Laklands and yes the Basslines MM pickup is a little more aggressive than the Bart MM.Last month I had the opportunity to A/B the Barts to the Lakland Pickups and pre and for me the Lakland was and is able to not only nail the Bart but the Basslines as well and to me the Laklands seem to be very versatile.I was so impressed with the new Lakland pickups and electronics that while at the Lakland factory recently(last Friday)I ordered a Lakland 4-94 deluxe,it will have a crazy birds eye maple neck and fb,J Bass neck profile,Lakland pickups & electronics with a Hipshot detuner,quilted maple top and Abalone block inlays in the fb.

And if you haven't already read my more in depth details on the Lakland pickups and electronics feel free to check out my posts 10,14 and 17 in the thread below

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231126

And lets not forget that the Lakland pickups and electronics are not even on the market yet(and to date less than a hundred people have even had the chance to hear them in a Lakland).

4. Thanks for the information.

Yeah, with the new Lakland pickup option I've been holding off making a change in order to get more feedback on how bass players like them compared to the other two options.

Jauqo- What would your preference be between the Basslines and Bartolinis that are available for these basses (assuming there wasn't a Lakland option)?

5. I swapped out my Barts for the Duncans.... very different sounding. If you are a rock/metal player... the Duncan's are fantasic. Lot's more upper mid growl.. more aggressive all around.

However, as a more pop/funk player, they didn't really do it for me (although they were much better than the Bart's IMO... which always sounded kind of flat of over midrangy to me).

It sound like the new Laklands sit somewhere in-between, which would be great.

However... given the type of music that the thread originator is playing... it's Duncan's all the way IMO.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

If I had a choice between the Bart's and the Basslines I would go with the Basslines(simply because they are a little more aggressive than the Bart's).but because the Lakland option is there and with all due respect if you could wait I would suggest the Lakland pickups and electronics.I spent a lot of time with the Lakland equipped Lakland and again they are more versatile than the Bart's and Basslines combined and the ability to go from a smooth evenness to a overly aggressiveness and any where in between a few other tonal options is the reason I ordered my Lakland(a must have option for me in a live and studio setting).The Lakland pickups and Pre are really going to take Lakland Basses stock up.

But the Laklands are much more versatilte than the Duncans

7. newchibass

newchibass

May 21, 2004
    Chicago
    I second Jauqo's opinion. I also have had the opportunity to test the new Lakland pre and pick ups and they are outstanding. I currently own a Bart equipped 55-94 and have been wanting something more. I think the Lakland pup/pre shines over the Duncan's in the respect that they still give you that edge but with more versatility - still aggressive in the upper mids but the ability to eq a smoother tone.

8. +1 I haven't heard the new pickups and preamps, so can't comment on that. I was actually responding to the question about the Barts and Duncan's, since it sounded like he doesn't want to wait.

I'm with the posts above... the Duncans and the Barts both have different limitations... sounds like the new Lakland pickups will bridge the gap between what some hear as the somewhat mid heavy Barts, and the sometimes overagressive Duncans.

That being said... if you are playing metal music... I can't think of a better sound than those Duncan's.

We need to be careful to not recommend the pickups and sound that we like and ignore that the requester is playing a very different style of music than we might be. The desciption of the Lakland pickups on other threads as 'smooth' capable of warmth and hi fi sound, etc. sounds about as far away from a metal grind as can be.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Ken,when I'm checking out pickups not only am I checking for Live and studio versatlity but genre versatility as well.

with all due respect,if you get the chance check out the Lakland pickups and pre.

10. I've been playing lately in a metal band and a straight rock band but also have played in other projects recently like funk, world beat, alernative and even a Polish pop band, where I do need to be able to adjust my sound on the fly. I will probably wait a bit longer to get more feedback on the Lakland pickups but the general consensus I'm reading here is that they are the most versatile of the three options. My main concern is that I'm looking for a pickup that's more aggressive and with less of the natural compression that the Barts seem to have.

The one thing I do like about the Barts is the have a sweet mid-range but sound too compressed on the uppers and lowers... hopefully the Lakland option addresses that.

11. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    If you're talking stock, I'd try the new Laklands first, then the Basslines. The Barts just don't do it for me (I've tried and tried)

If you have one already and want a change, I would go with Nordstrands.

12. I read somewhere that Nordstrand had replacment pickups for the 55-94 but wasn't able to get any information as to how they sounded compared to the other options- what's your opinion? Do they have a preamp that works with the pick ups as well?

13. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    yes they have their own pre now too!
    and a bumpity

14. opium89

opium89

Jan 27, 2004
    I played a 55 series recently with the new Lakland pups and the only thing different between them and the Barts that I could distinguish was the Laklands being slightly warmer than the Barts. Not better, just slightly different. Same warm smooth sound as the Barts, just slightly more body.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

With all due respect I have to disagree with you,I have spent more time using the new Lakland pickups and electronics than any body at this point in a real world atmosphere(not bragging just making a point),using a 55-94 and a 4-94 both equipped with the new Lakland electronics,they do nail the Bart's(to be more specific they clone the Bart's to a great degree)but they are far more versatile than the Bart's,the Lakland system can go from the smoothest warmth to the the edgiest of highs and every where in between,if you want that in your face funkiness the Lakland system delivers in over kill,the Bart system is just not as versatile as the Lakland or the Duncan system but this is just from my hands on experience with all three systems,I own the first 4 string Lakland to leave the factory equipped with the Lakland system and believe me I had my choice of any system I wanted but I chose the Lakland system because of it's versatility.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270855

If any one wants to know more about the Lakland system check out the review in the Sept 06 issue of Bass Player mag(with Richard Bona on the cover).

16. opium89

opium89

Jan 27, 2004
    We'll have to agree to disagree =) Anyone here in Phoenix can go to Bass Place and check it out for yourself, the one I played with the new pups is (was) there...As a side note, both Dennis and Lee there agreed with my opinion of them.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Again read post # 15.

18. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    dont forget the active passive switch !

i did :confused:
    serious gas

19. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I must agree with JAUQO on this one. I find the new
    Lakland pickups and pre more versatile than the Barts.
    I've also found (my opinion) you can't tell too much
    about an instrument till you hear it with other instruments.
    The new pickups seem to have more presence when
    played in an ensemble. Some of this also depends on
    the individual bass. If a bass is very alive and aggressive
    sounding, the pickups will take on that personality.
    If a bass is acoustically dark and more muted sounding,
    the most aggressive pickups may never make the bass
    sound the way you want it to. I think the bottom line
    here is that the new Lakland electronics seem to be a
    step up for the Lakland basses.

20. Hey KJung and sandmann,

When you went with the Basslines, what did you use for the neck J pickup? I like the Basslines MM bridge unit, but it doesn't play well with the OEM Bart J/neck pickup in my 55-02. :p